Originally Posted By: John
The flipside of the LIFT is the DROP. "What comes up must come down" - use gravity. Often pianists neglect to use the impetus and natural gravity that arm drops provide; we are constantly LIFTING, DROPPING, TRANSFERRING WEIGHT to each finger, then LIFTING again.

I hope I understand what you said correctly. So pianists often do lifting and dropping and when it is dropping, pianists should use the natural gravity along with his/her own force.

Originally Posted By: Arlene Steffen

I often try making the wrist into a marionette body part where I control the string, pulling up on the wrist, then letting go of the string.

That's a great way to practice. How about sagging wrist (rest on the edge of the keyboard), any tip to correct this problem? Right now I hold a drumstick against the edge of the keyboard (parallel) and level it a bit higher than the base of the keyboard (where he could rest his wrist) so he couldn't sag his wrists.

Originally Posted By: Lillystar

For C.Y. The muscial phrase as John noted is the equivalent of a sentence or complete thought. For example if you sing the first phrase in the song "Happy Birthday to You" you'll notice a pause at the end of "to you". You sorta sing the whole phrase in one breath and then pause. A musical phrase is indicated by a line connecting the first note of the phrase to the last note of the phrase.

The wrist float-off is beginning training in the art of releasing the last note of a musical phrase (sentence.)

Is that line called "slur"? I can understand a group of notes that connected by a slur is like a sentence. But what if there is no slur line or just staccato, should one look for a rest sign or a bar line or a long note as the end of phrase now? Is there a rule to teach kid how to see the music phrase or as they get older and have more experience, they will just know like an instinct.