Originally posted by Eric:
Who knows how this development might have a really positive effect on teaching? If successful, perhaps somewhere down the road it will become advisable for young students to begin on a 7/8, much the way young violinists start out on those adorable mini-violins.

I know nothing about violins, but I very seriously doubt that those "adorable" mini-violins cost $5,000! [You'll have to forgive me, but I hate listening to beginning violin students practice: squeak, squeak, squeak ]

And what are the odds that parents who aren't even willing to buy a decent digital piano :rolleyes: (that costs $2,000 or less; as low as $800 or so if you catch a great sale) are going to be willing to buy a grand piano so they can have it fitted with a 7/8 keyboard?

As for me, I'm happy with the conventional size! \:\) When I was trying out pianos, I played on a Mason and Hamlin that had slightly larger black keys, and I found my fingers too big to easily maneuver between them.

If there aren't going to be many 7/8 keyboards around, I'd rather stick with the regular-sized keys as well. Even though my hands are rather small (I can barely span a 9th), I have managed to adapt fairly well to performing on a regular piano & imagine it would be difficult to adjust to smaller keys, practice on smaller keys at home, then have to perform in public on a regular piano. Until the 7/8 keyboard becomes a commonplace item (which is unlikely at the present $5,000 price), I'll stick with what I have & be content. \:\)

[ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]