Oh, I agree, Arlene, and think we're really on the same page - you know how us "stir the pot" people can be (and I include YOU in the club!) ;\) My comment needs to be put in the context of Gretchen's unique situation i.e. consequence here.

Quote:
Originally posted by Arlene Steffen:
As in so many things, it is about balance. I do not think that most children know what is good for them or what they like in a broad sense because they have limited exposure.

I find that students are more motivated by success than anything else, including the pieces they play. I make sure that they feel success each step of the way.
That is exactly my point. If we are putting every student on the same classical path, with the same methods & courses & whatnots, then we are not Good Listeners and are probably letting our studios lean to the point of Unbalance. And if we set ourselves up to control every cotton pickin' thing a student touches so that we can "make" them successful, then we have set ourselves up as little gods, which never works. Ask any gardener how well that scenario fares (for the record, it does NOT!) - teaching works the same way.

There comes a time when teachers need to realize it is OK to step back and not be responsible for every single pickin' detail of stuff that happens in or out of a lesson. Sometimes when we are so intent on being perfect we get out of touch with where a student really is. And that's when we can get socked in the stomach with something we weren't expecting. The question is, do we let the ego take over and try to defend ourselves or do we see if there's a lesson to be learned in the Big Scheme of Things.

Getting back to GeeTee, what my advice really means is that maybe it might be a fun change for ya to be a little less like Cameron and a little more like Ferris. And 5 extra stickers, btw, to the teachers who can interpret what I'm talking about!