A strong and secure technique, not to mention the ability to play musically, does not need to have a "classical focus" in order to be learned. The elements of a good technique are easily broken down by alert teachers such as yourself and can be taught with a variety of music, whether Bach or Bober. And once does not need to give up standards of excellence just by using different material for different occasions and persons.

If the long term goal is truly for students to be able to sit down and comfortably express themselves, both technically and emotionally, at the piano when 40+, then it is necessary for teachers to make a paradigm shift in how they approach the lesson. It is not about us and our wants and needs. It is about the student's intrinsic motivation and their path, not ours. It is also about learning to eschew so-called Perfect Pedagogy and understanding the educational psychology components of motivation.

I suspect you need to lighten up a little, especially on the A-Z lesson planning, and go with the flow a little more, learning to bask in the individual journey with each unique and special young person. And I also suspect you will completely ignore this post, based on past experiences here. ;\) But that's OK - sometimes the student just ain't ready. It's an interesting topic. And Nancy, I enjoyed hearing what you had to say about the subject.