With the exception of 2 elem. beginners and 1 8th grader, my piano studio is made up exclusively of HS age students. Of those, only 1 girl has expressed interest in continuing her study & playing skills into the college level (still 2 yrs. away). Of the rest, they are what you'd call typical students who may or may not cont. playing much beyond their HS studies. iow, they're ambitions are primarily recreational.

In a previous post, I shared a situation where one of my more promising students was pulled from my studio by her mother who said that since she wasn't planning on majoring in music in college, she didn't really see the point in continuing with me as I hold the students to higher, more serious standards. Her daughter no longer wanted to study as seriously in HS.

Now, I've often given my speel about being able to play for one's own enjoyment at a satsifying level, earning extra income by accompanying or teaching lessons, playing for church, etc. etc. to help people see the benefit of piano study that's not geared toward a sole musical profession.

But still this issue has caused me to wonder, what really is the point of striving toward high end standards of technique, theory, musicality, performance practices, repertoire, etc. when a large percentage of students may not really be interested in working toward them at all, but be satisfied with mediocher standards? I'm so fearful now that if I push for excellence, I'll lose other students to teachers w/ "less" serious expectations.

So how exactly should we answer students who react to our higher standards objectives for them with "but I'm not going to study music in college so why does it matter."? \:\(