Why have them record their times then? If we all say that we want quality mind spent over time spent, then why do we make them record it? Just thinking out loud here myself....

Why not develop different very simple systems of recording for different sections of pieces each week? Something as simple as a checkmark on a mini post-it note would work. I think the less fancy schmancy the better.

For students of the age you have, I think I would have them all buy a digital timer. Remember that part in the book where he talked about setting it for three minutes to work on, for example, a two measure trouble spot? This has revolutionized my own practice! I had NO IDEA how long 3 minutes was. I fixed something that had been plaguing me for WEEKS using that method.

The other thing I liked in the book for this age kids was his back-needs-scratching analogy. I think kids that age could really relate to it. An assignment for one week could be JUST to find the spots that need scratching. Just imagine: an assignment where they get to circle what's WRONG with thangs and not worry about fixing it! For many, it would probably take longer than the actual fixing. :rolleyes: ;\)

The other thing I would do with older kids like you have is spend more lesson time on supervised/guided practice, using the little tricks you've picked up. I think it would be empowering to them.

I'm gonna re-read this book again, probably several times, this summer. Maybe we should start a new thread on it. I would like to figure out how to involve parents from the start in the practice process this fall for my beginners, for example. He gave some ideas, and I want to make it interactive vs. legalistic and wordy, for lack of a better description. We can all put the blah-blah-blah speech in our policy or deliver it at the interview, but getting them to interact from the first lesson would be waaaaaay better.