I just doubled my tuition rate, & that's what my one & only student's parents are paying me (thank the good Lord). \:\) I don't have any rebates or incentives in place, other than offering a $20 credit for each referral that results in an enrollment.

I just wonder if there's a way to somehow motivate parents to take a more active role in their children's musical education. Ego? I don't think so. I just know that the vast majority of piano students are not going to do well without parental involvement & support. I consider parental involvement as being one of the main ingredients in a student's success. How many students do you think are going to diligently practice, on a regular (daily) basis, without parents setting aside a certain time each day for practice & at least reminding them that they need to practice? How many young students (under age 8) do you think are going to practice without being told to do so? Even if they love piano lessons & love playing the piano, there will be weeks when they won't want to practice unless Mom or Dad makes them.

I guess there's a fine line in determining whether a teacher wants a student to succeed because of the teacher's ego or because the teacher honestly & truly wants to see the student do well. I submit that very few teachers can truthfully say that they're happy with a studio full of students who hardly ever practice & whose parents don't seem to care. [Let's get real here, folks! ] Furthermore, if any teachers like that exist, I say they shouldn't be teaching. IMO, all teachers should want their students to make steady progress. I, for one, would not think of sending my children to any teacher who displayed a nonchalant attitude about their progress. But maybe I'm different than most parents. \:D

At any rate, I posted this "Motivation through Money" thread out of curiosity, because I just wonder if a financial incentive would perhaps spark some parents to see to it that their children don't miss lessons & that they practice regularly. It's not something I necessarily feel like doing. I'm just thinking out loud. Haven't any of you folks ever done that? Haven't you ever brainstormed before? Do you ever try to think of creative ways to do things? Something out of the ordinary? Just curious...

So many people these days suffer from a condition I call affluenza. Their kids already have so many toys, etc. that the little gimmicky prizes we piano teachers offer to get them to practice just don't work (at least, not for long).

And Jason, the reason that medical doctors, lawyers & other professionals don't offer rebates is because they know that people need medical care, legal counsel, etc. The rebates are offered by companies who are selling things that are not really necessary, but that they know people might purchase if given an incentive. For most people, whether we like it or not, piano lessons fits into this category. It's not a necessity for most people. The people that really think it's important are going to pay whatever they need to pay. That is definitely true. But the other 99% of piano students who enroll for lessons are going to consider money, at least a little bit. And perhaps [again, I'm not thinking of doing this, I'm just in an argumentive mood today. :p ;)] offering a rebate or credit once a year might entice parents to do their part. Just maybe... But we'll never know, will we? We're too afraid to try something this unconventional. [I include myself in this statement. I don't feel like losing money, either. ;)]

[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: Jalapeņo ]