Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#8985 - 11/01/06 03:30 AM Re: question about public schools policies
eaHarris Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Hicksville, OH
I googled truancy laws for kentucky truancy laws. Mandatory attendance laws apply to kids starting at age 6. So if your girls are still 5, you're off the hook!

#8986 - 11/01/06 04:41 AM Re: question about public schools policies
ChristyA Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
Thank you Violet, and thank you eaHarris! That really makes me feel so much better. I had googled truancy laws too but hadn't found that, that is such a relief to hear. Now maybe I will be able to relax! I just went out and bought 8-day "magic your way" tickets, the last big purchase we had to make for this trip.

#8987 - 11/01/06 05:07 AM Re: question about public schools policies
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
"Truancy" is a big scary word the schools use to intimidate parents. While there are certainly situations where a student is truant (as someone mentioned earlier, when your kid continuously skips school), most people don't consider a vacation such an offense. But again, the gov't wants your kid's behind in school as much as possible or they lose money, and they'll use any and all means to keep him there. I can understand with Jr Hi on up; there's so much more work they'd miss (although when my son went to Europe with his high school they did miss an entire week of school with no problem).

With kids as young as yours I wouldn't worry about it. I'd be planning my trips in the off-season too. By the way, it's true that the private schools are more lenient.

#8988 - 11/01/06 05:18 AM Re: question about public schools policies
ChristyA Offline
Resident Member

Thanks alidoremi, I think I can stop worrying about this whole issue now thanks to everyone's advice. It had really been bothering me! I emailed one of the girls' teachers some of your responses, she has been very supportive. She really didn't know the truancy laws either.

#8989 - 11/01/06 05:37 AM Re: question about public schools policies
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
I haven't had the time to read the entire thread, but truancy laws vary from state to state. When we lived in Nebraska, you could take a kid out for about anything. Parents didn't even plan their Disney trips around spring or fall breaks either. I would have entire families skip weeks on either side of week long school breaks!

Texas was completely different and was completely intolerant of any kind of absence, even documented illness. One of my sons (straight A student) was deathly ill with pneumonia and missed more than 3 days or something ridiculous like that, had a doctor's letter, etc. and they still made threats about graduation, etc. Texas received different funding that was tied into attendance, and the laws gave them the TEETH to back them up. So what Violet shared might pertain to another state, but it wouldn't fly in Texas. At all. This will probably get just as bad in other states due to the NCLB ridiculousness and teachers getting more and more pressure to teach to the tests.

So....in some states truancy IS a big deal and parents just need to know what the facts are. Thank goodness you can ignore the threats and have a lovely vacation! You are going to have a blast. Be sure to check out the Birnbaum books - they were very helpful when we took our trips there.

#8990 - 11/01/06 05:57 AM Re: question about public schools policies
ChristyA Offline
Resident Member

Thanks Lisa. We have the "unoffical disney guide" which has very helpful advice too. I would probably still be really worried but the information that eaHarris found about mandatory attendance laws is reassuring, it sounds like all the school office can do is make threats that they can't carry out on since they are still only 5. I think I might have my mom (who is a paralegal) make an anonymous phone call to the board of education and ask some questions.
It does make you wonder when private schools are more lenient about all this, and they usually provide better education.

#8991 - 11/01/06 06:33 AM Re: question about public schools policies
OKMusician Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Oklahoma
And that explains one of the many reasons people choose to homeschool!! I homeschooled my boys until they were in 9th grade and then they attended a private school. I now teach 4th grade in a private school and we have students go on trips with their parents quite often. It's more work for us teachers (getting the work ready ahead of time, grading when they get back after you have all the other students' work graded, etc.) but we know the experience and the family time are good for the students also.

Go and have a great time and QUIT WORRYING!

#8992 - 11/01/06 06:45 AM Re: question about public schools policies
ChristyA Offline
Resident Member

I'm trying to quit worrying but that's really hard for me! Pretty sad I know. I did just find online about mandatory attendance and truancy laws applying to kids over age 6, so I'm trying to convince myself that I don't have anything to worry about since my kids are 5. I'm having my mom (the paralegal) take a look at the legal documents that I found online to try and get reassurance! All this stupid stuff really wants to me to consider private school, not that we're ever doing this again anyway. But I haven't been thrilled with their education at the public school, so it's definitely worth a look.

#8993 - 11/01/06 10:32 AM Re: question about public schools policies
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
You're stressing too much. I wouldn't let this one experience stop you from planning other vacations and missing a few days of school here and there. In fact, the lioness in me would probably say, "Go ahead, I dare you to tell me when I can and can't plan a vacation with my family." You are right about private schools. They usually have no problem with parents taking their kids out of school (although I have seen some parents abuse this). But kids can semi-routinely miss school and still get a better quality education than in most public schools. Imagine that! In our kids' Christian school about 1/3 of the parents were self-employed (farmers, construction trades, doctors, lawyers, etc...) They would often take their vacations on their own timetable. Many families would also take off a Friday here and there for a quick weekend trip to the beach or the mountains.

#8994 - 11/01/06 02:22 PM Re: question about public schools policies
Gail Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
As a public school teacher, whose children have received an EXCELLENT education in the public school system, I tend to "bristle up" when I feel like public schools are getting a bad rap. There are certainly many criticisms that one can make of public schools, but the quality has NOTHING to do with how much time families take their children out of school. How many behavior problems do you see in the private schools? How many severely ADD/ADHD/autistic/Asperger's/dyslexic/single parent/learning disabled/borderline mentally retarded kids do you see? Public schools have to take any kid who knocks at their door and private schools can and DO pick and choose the "cream of the crop," unless it's a private school specially geared to a specific population. PLUS parents who are shelling out big bucks for their children's education tend to be much more invested in their child's success!!That's not a criticism of private schools, it's simply the reality of the situation. Interestingly enough, I have seen a number of students come from private school to the school where I teach and be WAY behind our curriculum!! Granted, we are in an affluent suburb of Atlanta and the quality of education in my area is VERY high, but we are still dealing with the multiple problems that ALL public schools have to deal with!!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics