Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#8951 - 10/27/06 07:18 AM Disgusted With My Local Music Store
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
I'd like to know how the music stores are in your area. Do they keep up to date with all of the new music put out by different publishers? Or are they 'time-warped', with rows and rows of the old Schaum and Bastien (you know what I mean)?

I'm in the new release clubs for FJH and Hal Leonard. I also attend the MTAC Convention each year which is a great way to view new materials put out by composers/editors like Dennis Alexander, Melody Bober, Ingrid Clarefield, Helen Marlais, etc.... Going to their workshops and listening to all the new music out there is SO inspiring for me as a teacher.

I went to our local music store last week to check out the Christmas music selection. They stocked mostly Alfred and Bastien and they had ONE book of Melody's and ONE Piano Adventures Christmas (out of all the levels). As far as methods go, they carry Alfred and the older Bastien and newer Bastien. They do carry PA but a month ago I inquired about MFPA and to date they still do not have it (the store has had a difficult time keeping a 'sheet music' gal over the years).

I realize that stores will carry what teachers want to teach, but how will teachers learn about all the great new music out there if a store doesn't carry anything but the old stuff?

#8952 - 10/27/06 07:55 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Alidoremi, music stores reflect what teachers in the area demand. When I worked at a piano music store in Ann Arbor, we carried tons of Music Pathways (since UM's Pedagogy Dept. used them at the time), and had to keep a load of Sing & Play since a few teachers used them religiously. I've gone to other stores where these methods were unknown and non-existent.

Granted, we were a store in a large city with a university, but I know when teachers came in and wanted things, we would order extra copies when we kept getting the same requests. I'd suggest that you go in and ask them to order what you need, and also send your students in for books you want to see in stock. A smart manager will take note, a less-clue-filled one may need to hear how you often resort to online ordering when you cannot find materials.

There's a very large, popular music store in Seattle that is "time-warped" (and dusty!), reflecting the number of older teachers there (the books reflect that \:D , not the dust ;\) ).

#8953 - 10/27/06 08:27 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Manon Troppo Offline
Resident Member

Although I'm disgusted with the arts scene in my neck of the woods (it's FAR from say, LA, when it comes to artistic offerings, although it's only an hour away!), it's a bit surprising that the local music stores carry a healthy supply of PA books and many other FJH publications (and also Hal Leonard ones, which are also my favorites). And if those stores are out of these books, they usually order them quite quickly. I guess that reflects the local reality--since I happen to live around the few areas that are more professional and educated (hence, artistically inclined) than the rest of the county.

#8954 - 10/27/06 09:14 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Glen Sprigg Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
My local store is great. If I need something, I order it. It's there within a week, usually. They've got a wide selection of methods available: Alfred, PA, Celebrate Piano, Bastien, Leila Fletcher, Suzuki, and a few others I can't recall right now. They don't teach out of the store, but they keep a reference list of every teacher in the area that they know of (a fact which got me my current job teaching at an out of town school).

They didn't know about My First Piano Adventure, but I educated them quickly about it. They appreciate knowing what the teachers are recommending, since parents come in often and ask them what they should get for their kids.

#8955 - 10/27/06 10:25 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
I have a great local store. My only complaint is it's about 25 mins away. They always have all of the PA materials, Bastien, Alfred and even the old Thompson books. They have tons of sheet music, tons of supplemental materials - great store.

We have another store that sells a LOT of guitars, drums and such and a little tiny section of music. They also carry Bastien and Faber but the employees are rude. You can walk right past people and they say nothing.....where the piano music is located is right behind someone's work station and they won't even acknowledge you. For that purpose, I rarely go there unless the other store is out of something.

A good music store is a necessity for a teacher!

#8956 - 10/27/06 12:46 PM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Malaguena Offline

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas (Heaven on Ea...
Since someone mentioned the word "Thompson" I just thought I'd ask what everyone's opinion on that was???? Open for comments.

My Music store is okay. I go there frequently and am always in line to order music. I let them know if something new is on it's way to be out. After the MFPA came out I kept going and waiting, but never asked when it'd be there. Finally about 1 and 1/2 months ago I finally went to the desk and asked why was our store the only store in Texas that didn't have MFPA. The next week I came back and they had them coming out their ears and ever since then they've kept up with the MFPA and I've gotten Book B (just not the writing book yet), but they know I'm always eager for the latest and greatest. Though I know ya'll are right. When there are numerous older teachers in the area there's no big rush to getting newer music because they're satisfied with the older selections. Trust me, I'm not bashing older teachers. My 2 previous ones were older and without their training I'd not be teaching today, but I think sometimes you do have to be up front and comment how you're not always happy with the selection of music at the local music stores and they'll not want to lose business. They'll get you what you want.
JMO

#8957 - 10/27/06 03:26 PM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
luvslive Offline
Resident Member

Loc: North Dakota
our local store has pretty much everything i'd ever need, it is a JW Pepper.
i am not sure that they have book B of MFPA yet, so I called fjh and am getting it at a discount, yeah!

#8958 - 10/27/06 03:32 PM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Malaguena Offline

Loc: Ft. Worth, Texas (Heaven on Ea...
I got Book B, but maybe the writing book is not in yet? Lucky....got it at a discount!

#8959 - 10/27/06 03:38 PM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
VioletBeauregarde Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Alabama
I've only been in Texas since April. I LOVE IT here and my students are WONDERFUL to work with. There is one problem though.The only music store in my area is Brooks Mays. They are going out of business. I do alot of ordering for materials and things through Sheet Music Plus.
I wish that I did have a local store that was well stocked and stable to stay in business,but I don't. \:\(

#8960 - 10/27/06 04:30 PM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
have you ever experienced getting a book from a music store with a teaching studio, only to find (when you get home/ start the lesson) that there's writing in it???? that makes me sooooo angry! most times a store won't take it back, due to copyright laws etc. i used to really give a book a good once over before purchasing it, as our local music store is famous for that. being in a large city, we have quite a few music stores, but i still order my music from 2 provinces away. they get their books directly from the publishers, and send them out.

#8961 - 10/27/06 05:24 PM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Christina:
have you ever experienced getting a book from a music store with a teaching studio, only to find (when you get home/ start the lesson) that there's writing in it????
Oh yes. Blame a careless teacher. Where I worked, we'd have teachers who would bring in piles of music for store credit. I think this was a VERY nice service to offer teachers, but there was NO WAY we could go through every single book and check for marks, so we'd have to trust our teachers. Most were very conscientious.....but there was always a few that were clueless and abused this service.

#8962 - 10/28/06 03:26 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Violet, I know of some good stores that may be close to you. PM me. I can also tell you the sad story of Books Mays.

#8963 - 10/28/06 04:16 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
Brooks Mays is GOING OUT OF BUSINESS!!!!! I'm SHOCKED!!

#8964 - 10/28/06 05:29 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
Susan, can you tell us ALL the sad story of Brook Mays?? I'd like to know what happened. They were really big when I lived in Texas.

#8965 - 10/31/06 03:22 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
My music store has a great selection.. The owner is retiring and looking for someone else to buy the business. Probably a good thing as she bearly uses a computer, and is rather rude. But she's great at having many methods in stock and keeps up with the popular music too. The other music stores in our area bearly have a music selection, so as teachers we tend to send our students' to Patty's. It's a small building with TONS of music, as that's ALL she sells.

#8966 - 11/30/06 07:34 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
graypianoteacher Offline
Resident Member

Loc: USA
I don't use the music store here in town- I go to the next town over (a lot bigger...about 25 miles away) and use the music store there. The store here doesn't have any established business hours, so it's hit or miss if you need to go and buy something. (Maybe I'm a little bitter...when I was first getting started teaching, I went to them to see if they needed a teacher.They told me to come back when I had more teaching experience....ummm...how do you get experience if they won't let you teach??) They don't carry what I need, and it's hard getting them to order something. The music store I use always has what I need in stock, (plus they host Faber workshops!!), and they give a discount to teachers.

#8967 - 12/29/06 01:02 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
music32 Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
I would share the same sentiment about my local music store. They basically have a monopoly, since there is no competition in the city itself as per accessing sheet music, etc. But they never seem to have even the most popular teaching materials by Faber, for example, in good stock. They force me to order say, the Faber Adult Lesson book and Performing book from the Internet, and I pay the pricey shipping fee just to get my hands on the music quicker. I can't wait WEEKS. The other bad feature of this store, is that they do not even permit any live music although they have been donated a fairly decent digital piano that just sits there-They also have a private practice room with an upright piano, for teachers, etc. to read through musical scores.
I have recorded 3 CDS and consider myself to be an accomplished pianist, having graduated the NYC HS of Performing Arts, Oberlin Conservatory, and NYU (Master of ARTS) Yet these characters at the local music store decline my and other performers' offers to serenade customers with decent classical music. Sad, but true.

#8968 - 12/29/06 07:44 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Hmmm. We must shop at the same store since we're both in Fresno, but my experience with them is quite good. Some things do take longer, but of the fairly general stuff, that is usually in hand in a week. They've given me excellent service on things I've ordered.

As far as playing music in the store, I'm glad they don't allow it. When I'm looking at a score, I want to be able to hear it in my head and I can't do that with the distraction of someone playing.

#8969 - 12/30/06 05:57 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
Back when I was shopping for a grand piano, I went to many stores in different cities. I stopped by a music store in central CA (not in Fresno, and a store that sells both pianos and sheet music). I asked to try one out, and here's the unbelievable conversation that took place--

Woman in store: If you want to play the piano, you'll need to play the digital with headphones.

Me: But I'm shopping for a grand piano, not a digital, and want to try this one.

Woman: People come in all the time wanting to play the piano and we always tell them to play the digital.

Me: But I'm interested in buying THIS piano, so I need to play this piano to check out touch, tone, balance and so on.

Woman: Well OK. But keep it down, he likes it quiet in here.

Me: Never mind, I'll shop elsewhere.

Woman: Fine.

I left and stood outside for a minute looking around, mouth agape. I wondered what had just happened, if I should go back and start over, if this was a joke and if so, where's the camera.

Then I went home and wrote a letter to the store owner but never heard a word in response. I've always wondered if the saleswoman found the letter first and threw it away. I also wrote to the ____ Corp. of America, and their represenative phoned me to apologize. Still, I bought a different brand, different store, different city.

#8970 - 12/30/06 07:08 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Well, the store I was discussing sells only sheet music, not instruments.

I can't believe any reputable salesperson would still be employed with what she did. Wow!

#8971 - 01/04/07 04:26 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
eaHarris Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Hicksville, OH
My local (40 minutes away) music store is very decent. They always have the most popular method books in stock and a wide variety of supplemental. And they host free workshops for teachers -- last summer they hosted workshops by Jane Bastien and Wynn-Anne Rossi. However, they discontinued their teacher discount program several years back, and with the size of my studio, I spend about a thousand dollars in music books per year! Also, they do not have a good selection of advanced repertoire.

Lately I have been thinking of doing the bulk of my music shopping over the internet, looking for where I could find a good selection and a discount for teachers. Can any of you recommend good sites for buying music on-line?

#8972 - 01/04/07 05:15 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
CarrieinCT Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Newington, CT
JW Pepper doesn't have the discount that FJH has, but they do have free shipping and they are easy to use. I wish that we could order from FJH online.

#8973 - 01/04/07 05:35 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

Loc: Minnesota
 Quote:
Originally posted by CarrieinCT:
JW Pepper doesn't have the discount that FJH has, but they do have free shipping and they are easy to use. I wish that we could order from FJH online.
You can email your order to FJH. I've done it many times. They will bill you for the amount of your order. Go to the website and I think it's a customer service email that you order through. I always put in my subject line that I'm ordering as a New Release Club Member. OR, I think they have a toll free number you can call.

#8974 - 01/04/07 06:03 AM Re: Disgusted With My Local Music Store
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by CarrieinCT:
You have to be careful if you want the free shipping. There are 2 different web addresses that take you to their site, but only one of them gives you free shipping (I speak from experience!)
www.jwpepper.com does NOT give you free shipping.
www.pianoatpepper.com DOES give you free shipping.

It doesn't make sense to me, but when shipping charges showed up on my last order, I called to find out why, and she said I entered the site through the "wrong" address, even though it is all the same company, and the online orders from both websites go to the same place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics