Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#8905 - 09/17/06 10:42 AM Re: Age?
SharonAdelle Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central Valley, CA
I'm 37 and I'm pretty sure that I'm the youngest piano teacher in my town. My own kids are all school age, and at one teachers meeting someone said to me--"ah you are where I used to be when my kids weree young" She was talking about the crazy house sometimes with interruptions from my own kids. I try to have them started in their homework etc.., but there's always a question here and there.

#8906 - 09/17/06 11:46 AM Re: Age?
cecilly Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Illinois
I'm 47, so I'm moving into the "older" group of teachers I suppose. Oh well, I think my energy level tho (at least in terms of my teaching) is still that of someone in their 30's!! My students never guess my age as nearing 50.

#8907 - 09/17/06 03:03 PM Re: Age?
lagin Offline
Resident Member

Loc: B.C., Canada
*Edited out to increase survival chances in the guess who's who game.*

I will gladly replace the above information with my age and teaching experience after the game is over \:\)

#8908 - 09/17/06 03:44 PM Re: Age?
Ceil Offline
Resident Member

Loc: California
Oh, alright -- I'll get in on this too and say that so far I'm the oldest (I still remember when I was always the youngest, and wished I wasn't -- ahh). Anyway, a couple of years ago I passed over the fifty mark (hurts to type it, but I'm getting used to it). My husband says I still look like I'm in my thirties, bless his heart, and others seem to think I'm somewhere in that range too. That's about the age I feel. I agree, highlights help!

#8909 - 09/17/06 04:50 PM Re: Age?
GailS Offline
Mainstay Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Celia:
Oh, alright -- I'll get in on this too and say that so far I'm the oldest (I still remember when I was always the youngest, and wished I wasn't -- ahh). Anyway, a couple of years ago I passed over the fifty mark (hurts to type it, but I'm getting used to it). My husband says I still look like I'm in my thirties, bless his heart, and others seem to think I'm somewhere in that range too. That's about the age I feel. I agree, highlights help!
This thread has been making me feel a bit over the hill.

I'm also over the 50 mark by *just* a couple years. Of course, I also look young for my age. (OK, 'Nice an Easy' helps a bit.)

I started teaching piano 15 years ago when my children were in elementary school. It allowed me to be home with them. I worked up to full time as they got a bit older (the last ten years). I plan to go back to a part time schedule as, or when, I reach what I decide is my retirement age. I love the flexibility it has had and continues to have through life's stages.

To those who wonder if they will still want to be doing this when they are heading toward or in retirement, I can't see why not. I still love teaching, I still love the kids.

Admittedly, Iím not quite as good at hopping around with the preschoolers as I once was, but with a bit of imagination Iíve adjusted the activities.

#8910 - 09/17/06 05:30 PM Re: Age?
AnnelieseDanae Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Texas
Okay...I'm young. I JUST turned 20 this week!

"Practicing is the key to success"

#8911 - 09/18/06 06:04 AM Re: Age?
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
Yeah I knew there was young blood on here. I'm 27, and have been teaching for 6 years. I am the youngest member of my WMTA group, the oldest turned 80 a couple years ago. With many others in the 50-60 age range.

#8912 - 09/18/06 06:11 AM Re: Age?
panoplr Offline
Resident Member

Loc: CA
True confession time - I'm going to be 48 next month. But I don't feel it, except at the end of a long teaching day! Having my first child later in life keeps me under the illusion that I am much younger than my birth certificate would indicate. Some of my high school friends are grandmothers! "You are already a grandmother? Why, my child is only 10 years old! I must be so much younger than you." Of course, hair color and a good push up bra helps considerably!

#8913 - 09/18/06 07:31 AM Re: Age?
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
Well, I'm not responding to the age question, but I began teaching out of my home about 10 years ago as part of my retirement planning. This is how I expect (and pray) to support myself through retirement. Not the best plan, but I feel ever so lucky to be able to do this. I took a very long hiatus from teaching and playing while I pursued a corporate career and raised a family. We are now empty nesters, I no longer work in the corporate arena, and I have been fortunate enough to build up my studio to the point where I can now live off it if need be. I only pray now for continued good health. That's the difference between under 50 and over 50.

OMG - I just noticed the push-up bra comment. (John, you can bow out for a second please). Twice in the past few months I poked at an odd looking lump of fat while slouching on the couch, and discovered it was something that didn't used to be in that location!!! I was sooo embarassed and have never told anyone but you!!! I must throw away everything that is not an excellent pushing up bra.

#8914 - 09/18/06 08:16 AM Re: Age?
eaHarris Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Hicksville, OH
Dont feel bad for being over 50! It seems like there is a bigger percentage of young people on this forum than would be at a typical gathering of piano teachers, so we need you "more experienced" ones to balance us out!

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics