Topic Options
#8504 - 08/08/04 05:33 PM watching fingers not notes
Emily Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Thornton, CO
I've got a 6 year old boy who took a month off of piano. In his first 6 months of lessons he didn't have a problem with looking at his fingers, he really seemed comfortable with the notes on the page. Now he watches his fingers constantly! I've started holding a book just over his hands to block the view. I'm wondering if others have seen this in younger students and how else have you solved this problem.

#8505 - 08/08/04 08:28 PM Re: watching fingers not notes
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
Younger students will probably feel more secure looking at their fingers, and as stated in another thread, they may too immature to grasp the concept of keeping their eyes on the music and transferring that data to the piano.

This will go against what most piano teachers do, but I don't make my younger students keep their eyes on the music while playing (again, I'm talking about 4-6 year olds). It's too confusing for them. Now, this doesn't mean the kids don't know how to read music; it's just that the reading and learning to 'track' from left to right takes place away from the piano. Having a young child try to focus on fingering, playing the correct notes, hand position, just remembering the piano geography, and then insisting that they keep their eyes on the music can be overwhelming and eventually frustrating. In my opinion, they need the security of looking at their fingers. Does that mean they may end up relying more on their ear? Probably, but that's OK, too. Remember, the reading of notes can take many forms; until they're developmentally ready to 'keep their eyes on the music', I wouldn't push it.

Just my opinion. \:\)

Moderator:  Jon, Lisa K. Studtmann 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics