Topic Options
#65700 - 07/10/15 05:56 PM Older Beginner
Beartime Offline

Loc: UK
I have just started a older beginner. She has no musical knowledge whatsoever but has always wanted to learn. I started her off in Accelerated Piano Adventures for the first lesson since that is what I had, but I have ordered Adult Piano Adventures for her.

However I am a bit worried that it might go too fast, as she was struggling a bit with what we did get through. And if it does, what do I do? I'm guessing maybe supplement it with something, but not completely sure what?

Edited by Beartime (07/17/15 09:47 AM)

#65701 - 07/11/15 08:37 AM Re: Over 60s Beginner [Re: Beartime]
susanmusic Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Hanover, PA
if an adult beginner has no previous musical experience, I start them in the children's book. They don't mind. I use just the lesson book at first. Some fly through the primer. In that case, I wait until the next level before adding technic and supplements.

Those who struggle with the first book get primer level supplements, technic and theory added.

I find that the adult method books work best for returners.

#65702 - 07/13/15 10:12 AM Re: Over 60s Beginner [Re: susanmusic]
EllaCat Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Hi Beartime, and welcome! I agree with Susan, the children's book really works best for adult beginners.

I have a senior beginner right now - she'd (unfortunately) already bought the Alfred adult beginner book before we started, so we're using that. It's working ok I guess, but I'm supplementing with other material.

I've found that the Accelerated books are great for students who are returning to music, or have already learned a different instrument - but they tend to move too quickly for "true" beginners.

#65708 - 07/17/15 09:53 AM Re: Over 60s Beginner [Re: EllaCat]
Beartime Offline

Loc: UK
Thank you so much for the reply, that's a great help. I am going to start with the primer as you suggested so will see how that goes smile

#65717 - 08/05/15 08:47 AM Re: Over 60s Beginner [Re: Beartime]
J.Baker Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: New York City, NY
Hello Beartime,

I encourage you to also use the Faber Sight Reading books, starting with the primer book. These books are, in my opinion, the best beginner books on the market. Sight reading will do more than anything else to improve your progress.

One caveat: I would not put a big X across the page to signal completion of a given page, as the text advises, but just a check mark on the side. If you get to the end of a book and you feel it is getting a bit 'steep' then just go back to the beginning page and read through it all again - there is little chance you will have memorized the material you sight read through before.

* As a teacher, I hope that Faber will expand this series! It is very good. I would suggest that there be added an additional book in between each book. In other words between book 1A and 1B there should be an additional book to bridge the gap of progress. Very few students accelerate at the rate that the series progresses.

But the print is big, and the lineal flow of the lines is far better than any other sight reading material I have found in publication, so I encourage its expansion.

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts