Topic Options
#65568 - 01/30/15 03:28 PM Advanced Student
Paula Offline

Loc: Tennessee
Hello!
I have a couple of students just moving into MFPA Book B and I'm concerned that they will be bored if I continue in the MFPA series. If I were to switch over to one of the reading levels, which book should I start with? I'm concerned that the Primer level will have too much that we've already covered, but that Level 1 starts with notes on the staff, which we haven't covered yet. I don't have either the Primer or Level 1 in my possession to review, so I may be incorrect. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks!
Paula

#65569 - 02/01/15 10:22 AM Re: Advanced Student [Re: Paula]
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
I think there are always many options in these cases. I would still move through MFPA Book B since it builds on so many concepts and skills introduced in Book A with the same friends and terminology, but move faster if the student can handle more pieces. You could add the Primer and start from the beginning (review is ALWAYS good!), but assign "On Your Own Pieces" and see how well your student can learn independently. The Primer Sightreading Book is also an option as a supplement.

I often want to give students many DIFFERENT reading experiences as well as give them more pieces that use the entire keyboard, so I often use 2-3 method series at the same time. Of course you have to think in terms of teaching concepts, and then find the pieces that reinforce those concepts - this means you know each series inside and out. Music Tree, Celebrate Piano, and Piano Safari offer a nice contrast to Piano Adventures. Hal Leonard's Piano Lessons/CD packet for Book 1 has some nice improvisation tracks, and will introduce some new things like the quarter rest in the pre-reading section, which is a great opportunity to work on LIFTING the wrist.

#65573 - 02/02/15 06:03 PM Re: Advanced Student [Re: John]
SharonAdelle Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central Valley, CA
When I've had a student like that I start adding supplemental books from the Primer level. You might choose to skip a few songs in the lesson book as long as the concept being taught is understood. Most kids love the gold star book and Zoom Zoom is loved by all. You can also get just sheet music of it.

Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts

Max Online: 1422 @ 10/03/16 05:11 PM