Topic Options
#65541 - 01/19/15 02:42 PM Pop rhythms
renie Offline
Resident Member

I want to keep my older students engaged by incorporating pop music (per their request) into their repertoire. However, despite clapping, tapping, counting, writing out the actual counting per measure, some students just don't get the rhythms. And for some who can play the correct rhythm, I am afraid it's because they know the song, and not because they understand how to count the rhythms.

I'm thinking of creating a chart with different rhythms (taken from various popular songs) and for use in lessons. Does anyone know if such a chart exists?

#65543 - 01/21/15 02:28 PM Re: Pop rhythms [Re: renie]
Bridget Offline

Loc: Ohio
I have had some success using a transparency sheet for this sort of thing. I will have several measures of straight sixteenth notes printed out largely, or whatever type of rhythm they are struggling with (triplets and quarter note triplets seem to throw them a lot, as well as any syncopated or otherwise "tricky" rhythms). With the sixteenth notes on a sheet on the bottom, I will put a transparency sheet over top and write the rhythm they are working on over top of the sixteenths. "Blank space" is what seems to confuse my students, but seeing how rhythms line up compared to the beat seems to help.
I know that was a confusing concept to try to explain, if you need some visuals or if I can help in any other way I'll do my best to provide that for you!

#65544 - 01/22/15 10:55 AM Re: Pop rhythms [Re: Bridget]
renie Offline
Resident Member

I think I understand Bridget. That's a great idea.

Moderator:  Joanne Smith, Jon, Randall Faber 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts