Topic Options
#65470 - 12/08/14 09:27 PM conquering performance anxiety
butcherfingers Offline

Any suggestions on how to control performance anxiety. It seems that I must master every piece in record breaking time. I often learn the pieces rather quickly but once I think this I become nervous in front of my instructor. What's with that mind set? My instructor is very encouraging and tells me I just need more recital exposure. For some reason I put too much pressure on myself. He says I am doing very well. I am a 66 year old retiree entrepreneur who strives to excell. I want this so bad! Music brings me such joy. I want so much to share it. I also take voice lessons and I do very well, no nerves there though.

#65472 - 12/11/14 09:37 PM Re: conquering performance anxiety [Re: butcherfingers]
SharonAdelle Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central Valley, CA
I would suggest playing in front of a very willing audience. Maybe find a retirement home that would love some entertainment. Play around family members--they don't have to be a captive audience, but if you are willing to just play with people around, then that might help you not feel stressed with an audience.

Remember, others don't hear the mistakes the same way you hear them. An audience will mostly hear the first note and the last note--those are the ones you want to get perfect. Especially if it's not a musical audience.

Good luck! If you have a love for the music it will shine through!

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts