Topic Options
#65453 - 11/23/14 09:10 PM New piano student volunteering at nursing home?
88Keys&6Strings Offline

Hi all!

I'm new here. smile

Long story short, I taught myself acoustic guitar in February 2013, began taking lessons in January, and have been playing piano since mid-September but just started taking lessons last month with someone who's been teaching for 25+ years. (I taught myself how to read the keyboard, bass clef and a couple scales but not much else, honestly.)

I'm in PA Christmas 2B and Simply Classic Book 1 at the moment (after finishing PA Primer and PlayTime Classics Level 1), and am also ordering a new book this week but can't remember the name.

(My focuses are country and classical for both instruments, if that helps, with guitar being fingerstyle.)

My question is...

I'd really like to start volunteering at a nursing home sometime next year (right now I've only played a few times on both instruments when I went to visit my grandmother, but that was before I started piano lessons) but I'm not sure I have enough of a repertoire yet as far as piano is concerned. (I can play a few Christmas songs, Solfeggietto, Menuet in G Major and am currently learning Fur Elise.)

My goal is to be volunteering, at the latest, by next fall, when I will have been playing for about a year.

I'd really appreciate any thoughts/advice. smile

Thanks!

#65456 - 11/24/14 10:54 AM Re: New piano student volunteering at nursing home? [Re: 88Keys&6Strings]
EllaCat Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Hi there and welcome to the forum!

I'm not really sure what you're asking? In terms of volunteering, do you just want to go in and play for the residents? Then I'd say that the only pre-requisite you'd need would be perhaps 20-30 mins of repertoire per session. I don't thnk you'd need an entirely new set list for each session, but some variation might be appreciated.

If you wanted instead to have a more interactive sessions, like lead a sing-along, you'd need to develop an appropriate repetoire, with each piece ideally in a key suited for the average amateur singer, and develop the ability to sing & play at the same time.

When you approach the home, I'd suggest you be clear about what you'd like to do, how long each session could be, and how often you'd like to do it. I'd also be sure to tell them that you're a beginner.

You'll also need to check on logistics - do they have a piano, and is it tuned? What sort of setup is required? If you have to bring your own keyboard, do they have an outlet/extension cord/chair available for you?

Hope that's the kind of advice you're looking for!

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts