Topic Options
#65336 - 09/25/14 07:59 AM 8 year old boy that doesn't think piano is fun
anon112559 Offline

Hi, Everyone!

I've been using Piano Adventures with my students the last six years and love it. I teach piano on the side and only have 8 students. I am currently teaching an 8 yo boy who doesn't like coming to piano. He started this past summer. His desire is to learn the guitar, but his mom wanted him to first take piano. He was involved the first few months, but he's now very unmotivated and doesn't participate in the lesson. He says it isn't fun. He also possibly has Dysgraphia. Do any of you have suggestions regarding what I can do to make the lessons more activity-based and hands-on. I was a first grade teacher for years, so I understand the need to have boys in the active "moving" mode. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I talked with his mom and told her I didn't want him to be miserable, but she's determined to make him continue.

#65339 - 09/28/14 01:00 AM Re: 8 year old boy that doesn't think piano is fun [Re: anon112559]
SharonAdelle Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central Valley, CA
I use musiclearningcommunity.com games with my students and I find that all the kids like the games, but boys are drawn to the fact that it's computer games. They are all short so attention doesn't have to be for too long and you can change the type of game so maybe you are first working on note names, then you can work on something aural so it doesn't feel like drills.

Also look at the teacher guide for the Primer level. On the web site are videos of Nancy Faber teaching and you can get ideas of ways to introduce pieces and repeat while making it fun!

For some kids they might need just time to improvise on the piano...play rain and thunder. Let them be free, but within limits.

#65355 - 10/03/14 06:04 PM Re: 8 year old boy that doesn't think piano is fun [Re: SharonAdelle]
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
Find simple lead sheets and show him how to accompany a melody with chords; that is what guitarists do. Show him Perfect 5ths (my guitarist son called them "power chords") and Smoke on the Water & The Pink Panther. Any way you can find to relate piano to guitar might help perk him up.

Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts

Max Online: 1422 @ 10/03/16 05:11 PM