Topic Options
#65182 - 07/07/14 10:15 AM Hosting my First Christmas Recital
Bridget Offline

Loc: Ohio
I'm hoping to host my first Christmas recital this year, and I'm starting to gather ideas, information, etc, now because I know I'll put it off and it will be too late soon if I don't! I've been teaching for several years now (8),but I've always pushed off the Christmas recital in the past few years. In my first few years, I was an intern teaching under my own teacher, so I simply brought the students there and helped organize with my teacher, but I don't know what it's like to run the show on my own.
Any veteran recital holders have any tips they'd like to pass on? "Do's & Don'ts" that I should really be aware of?

I'm hoping to host the recital in a local coffee shop to give it a more relaxed atmosphere. After helping organize the past recitals, and participating in more than my fair share, this has always seemed to work well on everybody's part around Christmas time. Adults, other children/students, and other family and friends can come, get a hot drink, mingle and chat while nice, live Christmas music plays in the background. The parents obviously focus on their kid when it is their time to shine, but this setup is much less intimidating than the silent, solo walk up to the big, scary piano in a church or hall. And it's just plain fun! I don't want to make Christmas recitals scary. We'll save that for spring time. wink
Thanks!

Edited by Bridget (07/07/14 10:41 AM)

#65188 - 07/08/14 12:21 AM Re: Hosting my First Christmas Recital [Re: Bridget]
Lewisfamily503 Offline

I totally agree with you about keeping a relaxed atmosphere Bridget! I think it has less to do with the venue and more to do with the way you organize your recital. For me, I have each family bring a tray of holiday cookies. I provide a sheet cake, several types of cookies, hot chocolate and coffee, and candy canes! It is a celebration of not only each student's musical accomplishments but also a celebration of the holiday season! I don't play music at the reception afterwards...I just let students and visitors hop up on the piano and play whatever their heart's content is! I decorate each table with holly, candles, etc to promote the festiveness of the season but I do it on the cheap...thank you Dollar Tree! I do not set up chairs in a usual arrangement. I have tables and chairs around the tables in a bistro or cafe-like atmosphere to promote a more relaxed environment. The general idea is to keep it light and fun and a party!

Moderator:  Christina 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts