Topic Options
#64863 - 03/26/14 11:49 AM Adjusting MFPA for group preschool lessons?
Niftynote Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mooresville, Indiana
Hello everyone! My studio size has been small (on purpose) for the last few years due to homeschooling my own children. Now that my DH and I have decided to send the kids to a private school next year, I am looking to expand. One thing I am wanting to implement this fall is a group preschool class for 3 and 4 year olds. It wouldn't be large group (maybe 4 in each class). I have looked at different preschool curriculum, but find myself thinking, "That is taught in MFPA." Has anyone used the MFPA books for group lessons of any kind? I LOVE them (my own daughter is using them now) and believe any preschooler would also enjoy them. Any tips of adapting the books for a group preschool class?

#64865 - 03/26/14 12:06 PM Re: Adjusting MFPA for group preschool lessons? [Re: Niftynote]
Dorla Offline

Loc: Texas
Good Morning!
I have been using MFPA in a group setting for the last two years and have enjoyed it! Last year I had a group of 7 and this year I have 3 groups of 3 - one group has already moved into book B.
I've tried structuring the class in many different ways - currently my classes are 45 to an hour and we do activities at the Grand Piano, on their individual keyboards, game time on the rug, table time with the writing book.
You can do it!

#64888 - 03/27/14 09:05 PM Re: Adjusting MFPA for group preschool lessons? [Re: Dorla]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
This is not a group-teaching comment, but a preschooler-teaching comment...

I've used MFPA with 3.5 and 4 year olds before, but have needed to supplement. A lot of kids that age don't necessarily know right/left, or how to read or write numbers or letters. Just something to be aware of as you do your planning. smile

#64911 - 04/09/14 02:30 PM Re: Adjusting MFPA for group preschool lessons? [Re: pianojazzgirl]
Niftynote Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mooresville, Indiana
Thanks for the input! I plan on adapting the lessons to fit the preschool level. It will be more of an "intro" class and I won't be going at the same pace as I would with a 5 or 6 year old. Thanks!

Moderator:  Jon, Lisa K. Studtmann 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts