Originally Posted By: EllaCat
[quote=PianoStudent]
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I'm very interested in the concept of teaching perfect pitch - I always thought this was an innate ability, not something that could be learned? I'd LOVE to have this skill.

What's the advantage of using fixed-do solfege, instead of just note names? I learned moveable-do back in school for sight-singing/ear-training but have never really understood the purpose of fixed-do - it just seems like a different set of names to me versus a learning tool.

Perfect pitch is something that you are born with. Relative pitch is something that can be developed in everyone.

Of the hundreds of students I've taught over the last 20 years, I would say maybe a dozen or so had perfect pitch. The others were taught relative pitch.

With regard to 'fixed DO' solfege: in my studio this is the student's first musical language. We sing the notes of every song that we will eventually play and as someone else mentioned, B-C-D-E-and G all end in the long E sound. This does nothing to help internalize pitch. Solfege does and it's the key to training the ear at such a young age.

Also, most of the world uses fixed DO solfege and not letter names for beginning note reading. I've had parents from Asian countries, Russia, Mexico, France, Spain, Argentina, etc... tell me they first learned to read music using solfege. As far as I know, the US, Germany, UK, and Canada are the only ones who use only letter names pretty much exclusively.