Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#63959 - 10/04/13 05:29 AM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: DonnaH]
T-G Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Scotland
Learning music isn't the same as learning to read or brush your teeth. Those are life skills you need to survive in this world.

I learned to read as a child however its at least 6 years since I last picked a book up for my own enjoyment. But I need to be able to read to earn a living.
You are fortunate that both your children have taken to music however I'm certain there are loads of people who were forced to learn instruments as children but who couldn't tell you when they last played it.

Hence my current aim is to improve my playing to try and spark passion in him and make him want to learn!

#63961 - 10/04/13 09:35 AM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: T-G]
DonnaH Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
You can choose to look at it that way...especially since it wasn't part of your childhood. I'm just going by my childhood and in turn my childrens' childhood to know that if it's just part of their day, there is no choosing to play or not choosing to play so that when the going gets tough, maybe I'll just quit because I'm no longer passionate about it. There were many a day in school that I remember watching the clock and wondering when it would be over...but quitting was never an option. And yes, we are forced into going to school but as adults, I don't think anyone regrets having gone to school...much the same as learning music. But then again, I was brought up with it...

#63962 - 10/04/13 11:01 AM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: DonnaH]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
Donna and T-G I agree with you both to a certain degree.

As a teacher I try to do what T-G is trying to do for her son, especially when we're talking about the youngest students. I think it's incredibly valuable to instill a love of music - to try to lead each student to find their enjoyment of music. We all know that most of our students aren't going to go on to be concert pianists, but I don't think that's the point. There is great value in learning an instrument, and simply in gaining a deeper understanding and appreciation of music.

That said, I think it is also ok, and good, to give one's child music lessons (instrumental, music for young children groups, etc) even if the child hasn't expressly asked for it. I am forever grateful that my parents put my in piano lessons when I was 7 years old. I didn't ask for it, but also I didn't even think of questioning it - like Donna it was just expected. My husband and I have done the same with our 2 children. They both take violin lessons, and they both attend an arts-focus school (meaning 4 music classes a week, and by grade 4 they start learning a band instrument). This is just what we do in our family. There have been plenty of days of balking at practicing, but I don't think quitting is even on their radar.

T-G I think you are on the right path and I commend you for putting the effort into instilling a love of music in your child. (I also hope you end up kindling a passion for playing in yourself!). Even if your son doesn't end up asking for instrument lessons I encourage you to consider signing him up when he is older. Before giving it a try he might not see how fulfilling it can be (most young children can't!).

#63966 - 10/04/13 12:40 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: pianojazzgirl]
SharonAdelle Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central Valley, CA
I think just the example of the parent playing the piano and enjoying music is what is needed at this young age. Kids see adults reading for enjoyment and they see that reading is important--adults don't only read children's books--you can play music that YOU enjoy and you are modeling behavior for your child.

Music was just part of our house when I was growing up. My oldest brother remembers my mom playing classical music on the stereo when it was bedtime--that's what he fell asleep to. We would listen to all kind of music on car trips. I can't remember a time when I didn't have piano lessons--I started at 5. My parents both sang in the church choir--my dad played the guitar for things and when I played the piano, sometimes my dad would come over and sing with me.

#63973 - 10/05/13 07:39 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: SharonAdelle]
T-G Offline
Contributing Member

I guess it is one of those things you can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink. At this stage I can only try to get him interested but if he has no interest why force it as that could put him off for life.

If when he gets bigger his passion is elsewhere then I'd but stupid to force it, it would make more sense to help him follow sport or whatever is grabbing him.

My mum and sister are both avid readers but it's just not something that I really do. We have all hear tails of people being forced into lessons they didn't enjoy and never touch the instrument since, which just seems like a waste of effort and energy to me. I also recall the tail of a football manager to dragged his boys to matches week after week for years. One loved it, the other had no interest and would opt to sit in the stand with a book.

#63974 - 10/05/13 08:33 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: T-G]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
T-G I do absolutely agree with you. The only thing I'd add is that I wouldn't necessarily just wait to see where his interests go. What I mean is that he might not come up with the idea of music lessons on his own, but that doesn't make it a bad idea for you to enroll him, if you know what I mean. I think music, sport, art, etc should all fall under the general education umbrella as much as reading, writing, etc. At a certain age everyone starts to "specialize" to one degree or another, but young children can be exposed to all of these things at an age before they even conceive of "doing well" or "doing poorly" or have any self-consciousness about it, and I think we can do our kids a real service to give them as broad an education as we can.

Anyway, I'm just rambling with a terrible head cold... not sure if what I'm trying to say is coming off correctly! Hope you get the gist. smile

#63990 - 10/06/13 11:03 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: pianojazzgirl]
DonnaH Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
My Mom just gave me the photo album of baby pictures she had made for me over the years and while I was scanning the pictures into the computer yesterday, I noticed that for Christmas when I was 2 1/2 years old, I got one of those little toy pianos. I know we got the real piano when I was 6. Not sure if that toy had anything to do with my interest in the piano or not...

#63991 - 10/07/13 06:32 AM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: DonnaH]
T-G Offline
Contributing Member

I understand what you are trying to say pianogirl, let him try lots of things before he really decides what he does / doesn't enjoy.

Donna I was considering a toy piano or mini casio keyboard for his Santa list but couldn't decide if it is a good idea or not.

#63993 - 10/07/13 10:27 AM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: T-G]
merrytunes Offline

Toy piano-yes. Try Schoenhutt (sp?) brand for a nice-sounding instrument.

Exploration and improvisation are really valuable for such a young child, and even though the sounds may not be musical to your ear, your child is learning by just fooling around at a keyboard.

Mini keyboard-ugh. Personal opinion...We have too much yucky-sounding digital "music" in our lives.

#64012 - 10/08/13 02:36 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: merrytunes]
SharonAdelle Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central Valley, CA
I agree about the toy piano as opposed to the mini keyboard. Also about young kids just needing to explore and improvise. It hurts when you hear an adult tell a young child not to play on a piano because it's making "noise". My mother remembers a Great Aunt she had that lived in a big beautiful house and she had a nice grand piano. She remembers being allowed to play that big beautiful piano at 3 years old--I'm sure that sparked her interest in piano.

On the other side--my Father-in-Law was a concert pianist. He was an only child of immigrant parents--I'm sure he did not have a choice to start playing, but by his teens he still had no choice. Was not allowed to play any sports because he may hurt his hands. He told me stories of a girl he knew that intentionally poured acid all over her hands to burn them so she would not have to play any more. He was pushed. So.....he let his 3 children choose for themselves if they wanted to play or not, with the result of none of his kids can even play a note! My husband has a hard time even keeping a beat! My husband did grow up playing football-probably because it was outlawed for my FIL crazy

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Jon, Lisa K. Studtmann 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics