Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#63930 - 09/30/13 07:08 PM Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old
T-G Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Scotland
I took keyboard lessons in my 20's but never really progressed, so my playing is very basic, and most of the time the keyboard sits neglected collecting dust.

However I have a 2.5 year old who I would like to get interested in music / piano, to my mind it isn't going to happen unless he sees the keyboard being used, preferably with stuff that interests him. Obviously he is far to young for formal lessons but I would like somebody point me in the directon of some simple things that I can play for him partly to improve my playing and partly show him to try and foster some interest rather than him just banging or driving cars along the keys.

He does do a music class at Nursery where they do age appropriate stuff.

#63936 - 10/01/13 09:12 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: T-G]
SharonAdelle Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central Valley, CA
When my youngest daughter was a toddler I would play the piano with her sitting on my lap. Yes, my technique wasn't very good--but I just played whatever and let her gently play with me--I was kind of just teaching her not to bang at that point.
I have a book of all Disney music that I liked to play and I would pull that out a lot. I would play and sing the songs she knew--and some others. She got so she loved a song from Dumbo (that is actually not really in the movie) called When I see an Elephant Fly. At 2 1/2 years old we played and sang it so many times that she knew when to turn the page for me.

At that young of an age I believe they mostly just need exposure to all types of music. Lots of singing, dancing, clapping, rhythm instruments, whatever. Play music and dance in your living room--don't be afraid to be silly! Just have fun!

#63940 - 10/02/13 11:38 AM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: SharonAdelle]
T-G Offline
Contributing Member

I'm not sure what my level would be within the PA series of books as I learned keyboard on Organ books and got to about book 4 of the series I was following, so left hand is all chords.

Where would be a good place for me to start within PA books? Baring in mind I would like to try and generate intrest in my son too.

#63943 - 10/02/13 12:49 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: T-G]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
I have what might be a little bit of a silly idea, but maybe would work, considering your goal. What if you picked up a copy of the MFPA (My First Piano Adventures) books, which are the "youngest" of the PA books (geared to 5yo and up). They come with a CD. You could play along with the CD, show your son the great colourful graphics, etc. In terms of sparking *his* enthusiasm that could be a good way to go.

In terms of sparking *your* enthusiasm, perhaps a trip to the local music shop is in order. You could browse through their books and see which have the most appeal.

Also, give some consideration to finding a teacher and taking a few lessons yourself. It could be a great way of getting on the right path, even if you decide to discontinue lessons and continue on just enjoying various books and pieces in a self-taught manner.

#63945 - 10/02/13 03:34 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: pianojazzgirl]
ndmr Offline
Resident Member

The best you can do for children that age IMO is
1. set an example,play the piano yourself while they are around and enjoy it smile
2. Sing with your child-sing together as much as possible, this is the best basis for musical education later on.

Good luck!

#63946 - 10/02/13 03:48 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: pianojazzgirl]
T-G Offline
Contributing Member

I was considering that as an idea but I wondered if there would be enough tunes / songs in it that he'd recognize.

I bought the Hal Leonard Adult book at the weekend, the shop didn't have either the Accelerated or Adult PA books, but just about every song on the book has Teacher Accompanys. I would like to take lessons but time is a struggle for me at the moment so it will be 10 mins here or there while I can grab it. And maybe a little time once he is in bed.

#63947 - 10/02/13 04:06 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: T-G]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
T-G - the thing about MFPA is not just that it has some familiar tunes (which it does - Twinkle Twinkle, Old MacDonald, Mary Had a Little Lamb, etc, etc), but also that it has this really catchy CD that has kids singing along after no time. Part of the great success that I've had using it is that kids listen to the whole CD from day 1 and quickly become familiar with all the pieces, so that when we come to actually learn how to play each piece they are enthusiastic and it comes easier (since they have the melody/rhythm in their head already).

#63950 - 10/02/13 06:53 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: pianojazzgirl]
T-G Offline
Contributing Member

Thank you very much for replying. Think I'll try it, good to know their is stuff he'll know too.

Eventually I would like him to have proper lessons but it has to be his decision to want to learn. I can only try to make the keyboard / piano seem exciting enough for him to want to learn. Does that make sense?

#63953 - 10/03/13 06:33 AM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: T-G]
T-G Offline
Contributing Member

Another idea that I was thinking was for me to try following the Accelerated programme while he's in bed and using the Kids songs Pre-time books etc for extra practice while he is awake.

#63955 - 10/03/13 10:15 PM Re: Trying to generate interest in a 2 1/2 year old [Re: T-G]
DonnaH Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
"Eventually I would like him to have proper lessons but it has to be his decision to want to learn."

Will it be his decision to decide if he wants to go to school to learn? Or brush his teeth if he wants? I have recently put up a poster in my studio that reads,

"I've never known a musician who regretted being one. Virgil Thomson" (Thank you Andrea and Trevor Dow!)

My kids were never given the choice - it was just something they did...like school, soccer, Church, visiting relatives, etc. They never questioned it. My one son ended up teaching until he went away to university and my other son taught part time while being in a band up until he started working full time (although he is still in a band). I don't think either one of them regretted being a musician but they probably would not have wanted to do it if given the choice...(just my opinion).

Donna

Edited by DonnaH (10/03/13 10:16 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Jon, Lisa K. Studtmann 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members