Topic Options
#63501 - 07/23/13 11:56 AM Piano Game Night
AmyEliz Offline
Resident Member

I've just switched teaching locations, and another piano teacher from my old location is switching over to this new location (oooh, the intrigue!).

Anyway, I was thinking she and I could have a joint piano student recital (for promotion). And I was thinking it would be fun to have a piano games night. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering what kind of activities could work for all ages. Or, should we have different game nights, geared to different age groups?

For example, I have many 5 and 6 year olds. Many students are still in the My First Piano Adventure Books. Plenty in the Primer, on the verge to going to Level 1. And one random student moving to 3A soon. The other teacher uses Music Moves for her beginners. But she also has many students in PA (transfer students).

Any suggestions for what to include in a game night (or nights)?

We would have one piano to use - and the possibility of using a rather large room on site.

Between the two of us, we have about 60 students. Although I can't imagine that all 60 students would attend!

Thanks for any help.

Edited by AmyEliz (07/23/13 11:57 AM)

#63506 - 07/23/13 09:47 PM Re: Piano Game Night [Re: AmyEliz]
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

Loc: Minnesota
I do a game night occasionally for group lessons with 3 stations, 20 minutes at each station. You could divide groups by age/ability and rotate the stations every 20 minutes.

#63520 - 07/25/13 09:25 AM Re: Piano Game Night [Re: Q88keys]
am&a Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I did my most recent group lesson with a stations / centers concept. Students received an instruction sheet when they arrived, and they had several activities to complete:

- play the "Whole Step Half Step" game from this website: Kants Music Tuition blog http://kantsmusictuition.blogspot.com/2011/06/whole-step-and-half-step-sprint.html

- build pentascles or major scales with scale blocks (I made them after visiting Natalie Wickham's blog at http://musicmattersblog.com/2007/09/11/make-your-own-scale-blocks/

- listen to "Peter and the Wolf" at the computer (I used splitters to allow 3 kids to listen on headphones simultaneously) and write answers to questions I wrote on a listening guide. (I used a video posted at the Piano Explorer magazine website)

- "Sweet Beat" activity - students glue wrapped candies to a piece of cardboard to make rhythm patterns. To make it faster, I had them copy pre-written rhythms; they just had to choose which candy would be a quarter note, which one would be a half note. They can use candies for rests or draw the rests; sometimes I make the older ones write the time signatures & use bar lines and double bar to notate more than one measure. The little ones just do one or two measures with a bar line in between.

- come to the piano and play the pentascales / major scales they built with the blocks; play half steps & whole steps (they could do this AFTER they had completed the other activities)

- go to the computer and play a game from the "Music Ace" program (I had headphones at this station too)

I hope these ideas are a jumping off point for you as you think of games you could play with your students!!

~Amanda

By the way, if anyone wants my Peter & Wolf listening guide or the "Sweet Beat" activity, please private-message me with your email address and I will send it to you.

#63521 - 07/25/13 11:09 AM Re: Piano Game Night [Re: am&a]
AmyEliz Offline
Resident Member

Thanks,Q88keys and am&a.

Moderator:  Jon, Laura Chu Stokes, Lucy Chu 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats