Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#63099 - 06/01/13 02:49 PM Re: Counting out loud and duets, yes or no? [Re: GailS]
am&a Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I agree with Gail - using the lyrics of the song can work SO much better for kids at this age; it's easier for them to follow along and not get lost.

I also try to make sure they can play a piece fairly steadily, with minimal stops, before I play along as a duet. Sometimes *I* am over-eager to play with them, and I need to let them work on it one more week. I even write in their assignment book sometimes to work on a given song and try to get it very steady "so we can play it together next lesson".

Don't let the 8yo's issues hold you back from trying duets with the 9yo. Each kid is different!! With the 8yo, have you tried playing her part along with her in a different octave? Maybe if she can do that a few times steadily, you can have her play her part while you softly add the duet. This is a great time to sing lyrics along with the music (teacher singing) to help student keep her place. You may need to improvise duets at first and copy her rhythm patterns to reduce confusion on her part.

As for counting, even though I prefer metric counting for myself, sometimes I have to use syllables (perhaps the ones they have learned in music class at school), or I let them count 1 for quarter notes and 1-2 for half notes, regardless of where they fall in the measure, then switch to metric counting later (maybe late in PA 1 or in PA 2A), depending on the maturity of the student. Be willing to do whatever method makes sense in THEIR minds.

:-) Amanda

#63100 - 06/01/13 03:00 PM Re: Counting out loud and duets, yes or no? [Re: am&a]
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Do you ever have them listen to recordings at home so they are familiar with the full sound of their part with the duet?

#63101 - 06/01/13 03:12 PM Re: Counting out loud and duets, yes or no? [Re: Arlene Steffen]
PrincessBear Offline
Resident Member

No, but I probably should! What are the PA Primer CD's like? Do they have the songs without the duets too?

#63107 - 06/01/13 10:52 PM Re: Counting out loud and duets, yes or no? [Re: PrincessBear]
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  aiinpst, Connie Wible, Jon, mka 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats