Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#59832 - 06/25/12 12:45 PM Re: Chords for beginning students [Re: Lisa Kalmar]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
Lisa I adore your wrist-float off/phrasing idea! I used to love doing that when I was a kid but I had forgotten all about it. I'm excited for my students to come tomorrow so I can show them!

Arlene, I also love your chord idea. I am so using it!

#59835 - 06/25/12 01:24 PM Re: Chords for beginning students [Re: pianojazzgirl]
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
LOL! The look on their little faces is priceless!!! Does anyone know why that arm thing works like that?

And Arlene, I forgot to tell you I love your chord idea also and plan to steal it as my own immediately if not sooner. I also like your summer scale project and have a couple doing that one also.

#59842 - 06/26/12 04:46 AM Re: Chords for beginning students [Re: Lisa Kalmar]
KylieG Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Tasmania, Australia
I get really high scores on intuition! smile
And wow what a cool wrist float idea laugh *goes over to stand in the door frame*

#59848 - 06/26/12 12:19 PM Re: Chords for beginning students [Re: KylieG]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
I've never taken that personality test, but I have a feeling I'd score high on intuition. I feel like the most success I have when teaching is when I tap into that intuition. I would also bet that most of us would score pretty high in the intuition department.

#62172 - 02/23/13 08:18 PM Re: Chords for beginning students [Re: Arlene Steffen]
renie Offline
Resident Member

Originally Posted By: Arlene Steffen
Sometimes triad inversions can be tricky for students to understand -- a C triad is a C triad, no matter which position it's in.

I came up with a new way to demonstrate it this past week. I pulled out a quarter, a dime and a nickel. I laid them out on the bench in that order and asked the student to add up the amount. When he gave me the answer, I moved the coins around so they were in a different order, I asked the student to add up the coins again. He looked at me funny and said, "It's still 40 cents! You didn't change any of the coins."

That's how triads work. You might put the notes in a different order, but if it's the same three pitches, it's still the same triad.

He really got it.

Arlene, I've used this demo for the past week, since reading your post. I love the demonstration, and the students love it too. I thank you!

#62175 - 02/25/13 06:17 AM Re: Chords for beginning students [Re: renie]
Wendy L. Stevens Offline
Resident Member

I wish you could "like" posts like on FB. Brilliant ideas, Arlene!

#62176 - 02/25/13 09:53 AM Re: Chords for beginning students [Re: Wendy L. Stevens]
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
Thanks, everyone. When this thread was resurrected a couple of days ago, I opened it and thought, "Wow! I don't even remember doing that!" I had to think about it for a while and then remembered the student's lesson.

Sometimes I come up with pretty cool ideas in the moment, but then forget to re-use them later. Maybe I should start writing stuff down . . .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Jason, Jon, Randall Faber 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics