Topic Options
#61322 - 10/25/12 12:11 PM Elementary-Late Elem, left hand alone
am&a Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Georgia, USA
I found out this week that one of my students has torn her rotator cuff in her right shoulder, and the doctors have suggested that she not use her R arm AT ALL for at least 4-6 weeks. frown Such a long time! If she happens to accidentally use it before then, they suspect it will tear again, then I guess the time table starts over or she might need surgery. Poor thing!

I searched the archives & old threads, and I scoured a few vendor websites, and I found a few books that I'm planning to order for her:

Look Ma, One Hand by John Robert Poe
On the Other Hand by John Robert Poe
For Left Hand Alone Book 1 by John Thompson
For Left Hand Alone Book 2 by John Thompson
Grand One Hand Solos (value pack of three books) by Melody Bober

I found only one book so far where I could actually see a sample page of a piece... can anyone comment as to the quality of the pieces in these collections, or perhaps steer me toward a different choice? The student is in the second half of Hal Leonard Piano Library book 3. I think if she were in PA, she'd be at the end of 2A or maybe beginning 2B.

She's having to give up a lot of activities because of this injury (dance, tennis, sewing), but piano will continue, and I want it to be enjoyable for her. I'm banking on the idea that she'll have more time to devote to practice since her extra curricular activities will be so restricted, but I know that her school work is going to take more of her time than usual also. I plan to incorporate some games into her lessons, to reinforce theory & the pentascales she's been working on. Worksheets might be difficult ro her since she's a right-handed writer, but I can probably find some matching & circle-the-item things in my handy dandy worksheet box.

Also, do you have any suggestions for Christmas collections I could give her with pieces she can adapt to LH hand alone? She usually likes Christmas music.

Thanks all,
Amanda

#61328 - 10/25/12 12:51 PM Re: Elementary-Late Elem, left hand alone [Re: am&a]
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
Joyce Grill has a few books out for either hand, one of which is at that level. Left Alone--Right On! Which has pieces that can be mastered in a decent time range by a student at that level.

Edited by shannonspiano (10/25/12 12:55 PM)
Edit Reason: found the name of the book :)

Moderator:  aiinpst, Connie Wible, Jon, mka 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts