Topic Options
#60367 - 08/13/12 08:46 AM Teaching a severely dyslexic student - HELP!
IFPianoStudio Offline

Loc: Ocean City, NJ
I started teaching an 8 year old girl about a year ago who is so dyslexic she cannot differentiate between the notes, or which lines they are on, or which clef is where. She also gets her left and right hands confused. I am of the opinion that music should be accessible to everyone, so I decided to experiment. I started teaching her by color - each note had a color, and C is black. I bought some color coordinated stickers for the keys and slowly but surely she memorized the color/note combo and we no longer use the stickers. I don't know how to try to wean her off of the colors, or if it's even possible given the way she sees things. Does anyone have any ideas?

www.IngridsPianoStudio.com

#60370 - 08/13/12 11:01 AM Re: Teaching a severely dyslexic student - HELP! [Re: IFPianoStudio]
englishrose Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: England
The system you used reminds me of a site I had bookmarked, http://www.rainbowpianotechnique.com/. On the site it says "The colored notes are intended for the beginning only. Eventually, students will transition to black and white. From our experience, the timing for such a transition should be adjusted to each individual student. We recommend to gradually remove the colored markers after a student masters all songs in the book."

I wonder whether you could email the contact on the site and ask them how they transition in further detail? They may be willing to detail what they do (after all, you could be a potential customer and a potential customer might rightful have these queries).

Edit: Note, I have never used this book so can't recommend it, I just noticed the technique seemed exactly the same.

Edited by englishrose (08/13/12 11:03 AM)

#60375 - 08/13/12 02:27 PM Re: Teaching a severely dyslexic student - HELP! [Re: englishrose]
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Are you familiar with www.YellowCatPublishing.com? (They are running a 20% sale right now) Their books are a "colored note" method book. The intention was to help those with dyslexia and other special need students.

#60376 - 08/13/12 02:29 PM Re: Teaching a severely dyslexic student - HELP! [Re: Jennifer]
IFPianoStudio Offline

Thank you, I'll check it out! I have not heard of that site.

#60377 - 08/13/12 02:31 PM Re: Teaching a severely dyslexic student - HELP! [Re: englishrose]
IFPianoStudio Offline

Thank you, I will look into that!!

#60378 - 08/13/12 03:02 PM Re: Teaching a severely dyslexic student - HELP! [Re: IFPianoStudio]
SillyString Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Washington State
Dyslexic students struggle with the fact that the staff has notes running "north" and "south" while the keyboard is "east" and "west." Take a one-line piece of music, make a photocopy (you'll probably want to enlarge it), then present it turned so the clefs are at the top of the page.

Positioned correctly, middle C on the page is above middle C on the keyboard. Notes going up or down on the page match corresponding movement of the hands. This is only a temporary thing. Once the student gets how the written music works, they will be ready to turn the page upright.

Your use of color needs to be included in written instruction as well as on the page. Use colored highlighters for both.

Moderator:  aiinpst, Connie Wible, Jon, mka 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts