Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#57012 - 01/03/12 09:32 AM Scale practise
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Southern Ontario, Canada
Happy New Year everyone!

I am looking for different methods of scale practise, besides just playing quarter/eighth notes up and down the keyboard. I have found some in a certain scale book (exercises by C. Poole-no cover, don't know the name of the book), with various versions of exercises. Ex: up and down the first 3 notes, using eighths. Then up and down the next four notes using sixteenths, etc. etc.

I wanted to use this for my students but it is probably copyrighted so I won't be transcribing it into Finale or copying the pages.

Any suggestions of how to find various scale exercises, shown on a staff? I found suggestions online but it was not on a staff, only written as text. Thank you!!

#57016 - 01/03/12 10:36 AM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
PianoStudent Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Maine
You might look at Scales Bootcamp. Some ideas are written out in the key of C, some are simply described. I find the ideas invaluable, even if not written on a staff.

#57029 - 01/04/12 09:19 AM Re: Scale practise [Re: PianoStudent]
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

Thanks PianoStudent. I did look there but am having trouble finding what you have found. I looked at a lot of site, do you know which link it is?

Any thoughts are welcomed - thank you!

#57032 - 01/04/12 12:13 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
SillyString Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Washington State
Here's a link to Scales Bootcamp:
http://insidemusicteaching.com/bookstore/scalesbootcamp/index.html

It's pricey though: $19.99. You do get a discount for bulk orders.

The top of the page is a large keyboard with finger numbers. Underneath is the staff which corresponds to the keyboard. Then there's a big list of challenges - different ways to play the scales.

#57034 - 01/04/12 01:13 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: SillyString]
PianoStudent Offline
Resident Member

To clarify, you have to buy the book to see the challenges; they're not listed on the website. On each scale page the challenges are listed in summary. Details about the challenges are at the end of the book.

#57040 - 01/05/12 12:23 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: PianoStudent]
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

Thanks everyone! I was hoping for something free...if that's available... wink

Have a great day!

#57218 - 01/16/12 10:43 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
PianoStudent Offline
Resident Member

Joyful, I have an extra copy of Scales BootCamp that I can send you (for free) if you would like it. Just PM me your address.

#57830 - 02/16/12 12:12 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: PianoStudent]
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

PianoStudent I don't think I ever saw your post - my apologies! I would LOVE to receive the book and will PM you!!

I was just coming on to this page to see if anyone had any further advice on scales!!

#58907 - 05/09/12 08:00 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

I have used the Scales boot camp with a few students (looking at my own copy) and now want to order many more! However they aren't to be found in my stores in Ontario, Canada. frown I will look into how to order them.

Anyhoo - at what level do you start scales work? I have started them young with 5 finger positions (Susan Paradis' exercises) and it gets them into the pentascales. Then when ready to move we move to a one octave scale (both pages are keyboard diagrams and not on the staff) and sometimes 2 octave scales. At what level should I be introducing the scales on the staff? I guess this is in hindsight because I already have most students playing scales so I guess my real question is how many scales should they learn at each level? Do you just base it on the RCM Levels? I haven't gotten past Ab or E, but wonder how to determine where to stop?

Hope this makes sense - thanks!

#58909 - 05/09/12 10:03 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
PianoStudent Offline
Resident Member

Hi Joyful, I ordered my copy direct from the Scales BootCamp website: insidemusicteaching.com. They also have other books, on practicing.

#58927 - 05/10/12 01:22 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: PianoStudent]
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

Thank you PianoStudent!

#58944 - 05/11/12 03:59 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: PianoStudent]
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

Wondering if anyone has a further answer to my question from May 9, about when you start scales work (what age/level/etc.)

Thank you! I ordered Scales Bootcamp books and am looking forward to using them with a number of students!

#58946 - 05/12/12 12:47 AM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

Loc: Minnesota
I put my beginning students in piano exams with our state syllabus and follow their technical requirements. This means they study pentascales and scales before they normally would in their Piano Adventures Primer book, or Alfred Premiere Level 1 book. Preparatory Level exam requires white key major pentascales in parallel motion. Level 1 Exam includes all major and minor pentascales in parallel and contrary motion. Level 2 includes full scales in the easier major/parallel minor keys. Natural and Harmonic Minors. Prep Exam Level = Primer or Level 1; Level 1 Exam Level = Level 1-2B; Level 2 Exam = about Level 3 of any curriculum series.

#58957 - 05/13/12 08:26 AM Re: Scale practise [Re: Q88keys]
Stanny Offline
Mainstay Member

I've got a couple of kids doing the Carnegie Hall Achievement Program and I'm following their syllabus for scales for all my students, as it's much more rigorous than our state tests.

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
MTNA Member
www.summitpiano.com

#59046 - 05/17/12 11:17 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Stanny]
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

Stanny, would that syllabus happen to be online?!

#59050 - 05/18/12 07:40 AM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
Stacey Offline

There is an HTML version of the syllabus here:
http://theachievementprogram.org/program/piano-program-details

And at the bottom of that page and others linked to it, you can click on the complete PDF version of the syllabus which is nice if you want to see the chart that gives the overviews and such.

Edited by Stacey (05/18/12 07:45 AM)

#59059 - 05/18/12 12:31 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Stacey]
Joyful Offline
Mainstay Member

Thanks Stacey!

#59062 - 05/18/12 06:46 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
This program is MUCH more expensive than California Certificate of Merit.

#59066 - 05/18/12 10:39 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Arlene Steffen]
Q88keys Offline
Star Member

Loc: Minnesota
Good point Arlene. It's true. Costs about 3 times the cost of our state MTA piano exams. Our exams were built to be very similar to the RCM. I find it hard to justify the expense for most of my students. If I have a student who's going to study in college, I mention it to them.

#59071 - 05/19/12 09:19 AM Re: Scale practise [Re: Q88keys]
Stacey Offline

One of the big "selling points" the TAP workshop presenter had was that he said that adjudicators for TAP go through a week of training, with the end result being that they are very consistent in their scoring. He explained that at the beginning of the week a group of individuals would have a decent amount of variance between their scoring of the same piece. By the end of the training, they are all very consistent. My exposure to this type of thing is limited -- do guys see inconsistent scoring among judges at your state/local competitions as being an issue?

As a side note, I could see a national standard/program being especially beneficial for a family who moves around (like a military family), rather than staying in one state.

#59073 - 05/19/12 10:21 AM Re: Scale practise [Re: Stacey]
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

CM evaluators go through training as well and I have been quite satisfied with their work. We have to attend training every two years to make sure we are up to date.

#59078 - 05/19/12 03:07 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Stacey]
musicat Offline
Resident Member

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Originally Posted By: Stacey
As a side note, I could see a national standard/program being especially beneficial for a family who moves around (like a military family), rather than staying in one state.

My exposure to this type of thing is very limited, too. As of this moment, of the families to whom I have presented TAP, only one is interested. I can't imagine some of my students being interested in anything that rigorous, so while I plan to teach as much of the syllabus as possible to each student, some just won't have any desire to go that direction, and that is fine with me. One parent in a family (who is very supportive of their excellent students) reacted with shock to find that there would be such a thing as an assessment system for music lessons. She felt that it would turn into something like the standardized assessments most schools use today, and take the enjoyment right out of playing (and yes, it is clear that the whole family is enjoying learning right along with the children). I'm also looking into Guild. I might offer both, as many others do.

Here are my reasons for being attracted to the program:

1) The comprehensive syllabus (it seems like TAP requires more aural training than does CM...I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong!)
2) The North American standard, as opposed to California only (I know that technically, you can do CM outside of California, but does that actually happen?)
3) My students cannot participate in CM, because I am not yet eligible to join. But they can participate in TAP.
4) I love that in many provinces in Canada, students can earn high school and college credit for their RCM exams. I really do hope that becomes the case in the States, as well. OK, so that is a future thinking aspect I like, but if people don't participate now, how can that ever happen? Yes, I know about the CLEP for theory, but I believe that's the only academic credit option available right now?

#59085 - 05/19/12 07:08 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: musicat]
Arlene Steffen Offline
Star Member

Yes, they do CM outside California. In fact, they are using it in China as well as in several other states. The costs for the students are incredibly lower than TAP. The newest revision of the syllabus will be released at the convention this summer.

#65489 - 12/22/14 01:00 PM Re: Scale practise [Re: Joyful]
m9j5y3 Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: usa
Articulation is the easiest way to add variety to scale practice. One hand staccato, the other legato. Also, eighth notes against quarternotes or triplets against quarternotes. Have you ever explored Joan Last "Freedom Technique"? Oxford University Press. Book 2 has scale rhythms p.9 #22a,b,c. p.3 #7a,b,c. Book 3 "Enjoyment can be added to scale practice if various rhythms are attempted". p.9 a,b,c,d. p.3 #3. p.18 # 48a,b.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jason, Jon, Randall Faber 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics