Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#56569 - 11/15/11 11:13 AM Re: Long vent. Need help with the words... [Re: Q88keys]
musicat Offline
Resident Member

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Originally Posted By: Q88keys
I spoke for a teacher's group a while ago, and included the quote "Don't make someone a priority who only makes you an option." I try to remember that when situations like this come up in my studio.

This is good advice, and one reason I am feeling burnt out on my previous career (I don't feel that is an option). I am trying to break old habits and run my studio differently from the get-go.

On this topic, I currently have a student whom I really feel is not committed to piano lessons. The parent has asked that we do lessons twice a month, saying hat the child is only six, and there is plenty of time to take it slow while pursuing other interests, too. I tried to encourage her that maybe it is time to wait until she is older to pick up lessons again, as I really did not feel that a six-year-old would maintain interest just having lessons twice a month. The parent was insistent that they would be prepared for the lesson on this schedule. I felt like I tried to give her several outs, but she didn't want to take them. So I agreed to try it. It has only been one lesson, and dang if the child wasn't super prepared and even had done an extra page or two (that practically anyone in the family was quite capable of helping her with). I suppose that it might work in this case, but I am going to give it time to see if the motivation continues. Has anyone ever had success with less than once a week lessons with young beginners?

#56577 - 11/15/11 04:55 PM Re: Long vent. Need help with the words... [Re: musicat]
SillyString Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Washington State
By having lessons every other week, the off-week time slot cannot be sold to anyone else thereby preventing you from earning the amount you should expect from this student.

Don't let parents mess with the way you wish to teach. It's your way or they can find somebody else. You are running a business and you are a highly paid professional - not a short order cook.

With young students, the tendency will be to practice the most JUST BEFORE lessons which is why it's sometimes recommended that you teach them twice a week so they can't get into that habit. I wouldn't even offer alternate-week lessons to a beginning adult let alone a small child.

#56582 - 11/16/11 08:24 AM Re: Long vent. Need help with the words... [Re: alidoremi]
mar Offline

Loc: southeast
I think some parents that give 4 parties for 1 birthday are probably never going to be good piano families. You know this is the case. They come back to you the week before an event and want details!! It is not the most important thing and in some cases, not even a blur on the family schedule.

I have one idea that might help. This is a variation on a recital/event practice for the home. Have the child create a hand made flyer, requesting an audience from mom or dad, cooperative siblings set up some chairs and create an at home practice session. Even the worst ADHD parent will ask: So...when is this event? Student walks up to the piano, sits and plays, practice a bow, then walks away. Parents clap and act like a polite audience.

Also, with a little effort, a party mom could create a practice party since she loves parties. Put her in charge! could be interesting!

This might help with getting the family on the same page.

Hope this helps.

#56585 - 11/17/11 09:43 AM Re: Long vent. Need help with the words... [Re: mar]
mar Offline

Loc: southeast
I had a request this morning for a schedule change for a student who is to participate in a Christmas festival this coming Saturday. The deadline was November 5th and this mom does this kind of thing a lot.

I still had trouble politely telling her the deadline was past for special time request and application. We have over 171 students in this event! Didn't bother to tell her that.

Anyway, I am learning it is easier to offer advice than it is to follow it sometimes-at least for me.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Jon 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics