Topic Options
#55766 - 09/20/11 03:38 PM How old is "too old"; finger puppets, etc.
AmyEliz Offline
Resident Member

Well. I never had children. I never had little nieces or nephews. I also have not had the occasion to hang around with young children.

But now I have many young piano students!

I've seen many suggestions for using finger puppets, stuffed animals, etc.

But how old is "too old," (from a child's point of view) for me to be using these in lessons? 7? 8?

Honestly, I have no idea. I suppose is depends on the student, of course. But have you all discovered that there's a certain age beyond which those tools seem too "baby-ish?"

Thanks in advance for your help!

#55767 - 09/20/11 04:09 PM Re: How old is "too old"; finger puppets, etc. [Re: AmyEliz]
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I am trying this out for the first time this year. I have quite an assortment of plastic finger puppets in a big fishbowl. Students earn these by practicing 5 days a week and marking it on their practice calendars. I really geared this for the younger students (elementary) because I don't ask my teenage students to mark their practice. However, the response has been interesting. Several of the teens thought they were so cute. So-they are for everyone!!! A few of the younger ones don't seem to care much, but for the most part, they have gone over well. The monsters are really fun plus I ordered some Halloween puppets from OT they are darling. That's how I have used them. Hearing about other ways would be welcome.

#55768 - 09/20/11 04:13 PM Re: How old is "too old"; finger puppets, etc. [Re: Carole]
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
One more thing-I have a small blue stuffed dog that has a bow tie that I call "Blue". He is our "mascot". He "helps" my little ones find notes, whispers things in my ear (insert smiley face) to tell them, sits and listens-you get the idea. Also each young student gets to pick a practice pal (small stuffed dog) when they start piano. This idea has worked well.

#55770 - 09/20/11 04:35 PM Re: How old is "too old"; finger puppets, etc. [Re: Carole]
AmyEliz Offline
Resident Member

Thanks, Carole.

There's a new cute Webkins dog (I can't remember his name off the top of my head); one of his ears is decorated with a treble clef and an eighth note, I believe - and there are music notes on his side, as well.

I picked one up to be the music dog; the "listening dog" - or whatever I decide to do with him. smile

#55772 - 09/20/11 07:59 PM Re: How old is "too old"; finger puppets, etc. [Re: AmyEliz]
Susan Kaye Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Queensland, Australia
I have a selection of theme based activities on the carpet each week that include something for every age, from beginner puppets to teenage senior theory flash cards - and I am often surprised by the students' interest in something that I may have considered too young for their age. Generally, time permitting, I go with the flow and let them try anything they feel comfortable with. It is great when an older student creates a game variation that I hadn't thought of!

I've seen Webkins mentioned here a few times - they look adorable. No luck having them shipped to Australia yet. You have such excellent and tempting resources over there! Thanks for sharing. I love these 'Extra Fun Manipulatives' posts. Now I am feeling the urge to overcome my fear of flying and jump on a plane to the USA for some shopping therapy smile

Moderator:  Jon, Laura Chu Stokes, Lucy Chu 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts