Topic Options
#54099 - 06/13/11 02:43 AM Naming Keys
April H. Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Denton, Texas
There may be many of you who already do this, but I wanted to pass it on for anyone who perhaps hasn't tried it.. I learned it in my pedagogy class.

When students are learning the key names (A-G), besides just going through and finding the sets of CDE or FGAB, it's a really great idea to have them go through and individually play all the C's, D's, E's, F's, and so forth. I have them find all the C's on the piano, all the D's, etc.

Also, you can make it into a game to see how fast they can find ONE C, D, E, etc, on the piano. My students all seem to enjoy this! Switch it up, so they really have to think about which key they need to play! Ex: Find one C- now find one F! I will review this for at least a month with my beginners until they really know the letter names of all the keys.

#54107 - 06/13/11 09:47 AM Re: Naming Keys [Re: April H.]
EllaCat Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Atlantic Canada
I do a similar game and I add more challenge as they learn more concepts. I start it with "play a black/white key with LH 2" etc. Then I'll add in high/middle/low, switch to letters instead of black/white, and eventually add dynamics as well.

#54110 - 06/13/11 11:57 AM Re: Naming Keys [Re: EllaCat]
Leigh Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Michigan
You can turn it into "Simon Says"! And let the child have a turn at giving YOU the directions - but they have to check you on it! (Of course, you'll make a "mistake" once in a while to keep them on their toes.)

#54111 - 06/13/11 02:13 PM Re: Naming Keys [Re: Leigh]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
I often mix it up, saying things like: "find the highest D", "find a C in the middle of the keyboard", "find all the Gs from lowest to highest", etc.

ETA something else I do for the wigglier worms is have them run, touch the wall opposite the piano, then run back and find a D (or whichever key, and later adding variations like "a D up high" as well) as quickly as possible.

Edited by pianojazzgirl (06/13/11 02:16 PM)

#54120 - 06/13/11 04:48 PM Re: Naming Keys [Re: pianojazzgirl]
April H. Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Denton, Texas
Great ideas, everyone! I have some new ways to play the naming keys game. smile

#54336 - 06/25/11 09:51 PM Re: Naming Keys [Re: April H.]
danshure Offline

Loc: MA
For my students who respond well to healthy competition, I use a stopwatch (ok, really my iPhone) and time them finding all the C's, all the D's etc. And I show them how fast I can do it, and we try to beat each others times.

You can have them do it with eyes closed too (but not the stopwatch). That's fun too :-)

#54348 - 06/26/11 10:19 PM Re: Naming Keys [Re: danshure]
KylieG Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Tasmania, Australia
mosquito on the keys - on piano - make buzzing noises in between calling out key names that the mosquito lands on.

fly swat & large floor keyboard...they swat the key you call out. they LOVE IT.

#54354 - 06/27/11 03:22 AM Re: Naming Keys [Re: KylieG]
Susan Kaye Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Kylie, Thanks for the great ideas. I have some bumble bee counters and you have inspired me to get the students buzzing or humming before placing them on the correct keys. Did you make or purchase the large floor keyboard? Love this idea, I have hand shaped fly swatters that would be perfect (we sound so 'Aussie' swatting flies....)

#54378 - 06/28/11 12:45 AM Re: Naming Keys [Re: Susan Kaye]
KylieG Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Tasmania, Australia
haha i think my floor keyboard is from susan paradis' website...

http://www.susanparadis.com/catalog.php?ID=SP600

theres a great activity the kids love where they have to match cards to the right keys on the floor keyboard - flats and sharps.
http://www.susanparadis.com/catalog.php?ID=SP602
I just turn the cards face over on the floor and they match them all up to keys.

and theres a sharp flat race on the real piano keys...
http://susanparadis.wordpress.com/2008/12/31/sharp-and-flat-race/
VERY POPULAR!
there's also a regular white key version that my 6 yr old student wants to play every week, racing those stretchy frogs up and down the keyboard.

i picked up the flyswat idea on her site too i think...kids love swatting flashcards. there are cute fly flashcards..
http://www.susanparadis.com/catalog.php?ID=SP811

dont go on her website unless you have lots of printer ink wink

#54380 - 06/28/11 03:22 AM Re: Naming Keys [Re: KylieG]
Susan Kaye Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Queensland, Australia
Thankyou for the information and links Kylie. Excellent! New ink cartridges ready!!

Moderator:  Jon, Laura Chu Stokes, Lucy Chu 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts