Topic Options
#47034 - 04/19/10 05:40 PM Is it ok to learn this fast??
FastLearner Offline
Contributing Member

I have been learning piano for less than 2 years. I am currently learning sixteenth notes on PA 3B (although I have already learned sixteenth notes in my school band). My teacher has told me that her most advanced student, a freshman in high school, is at the same point as me in the book, introducing sixteenth notes. She has been learning for at least 7 or 8 years. My teacher even joked that I will probably be her most advanced soon. Is it normal to be learning at this fast rate??

P.S. I am 11 years old, I have once a week 45 minute lessons.

P.S.S. 2 of my friends, who have been learning longer than me, are also behind me. My friend who has learned for 3 years in on PA 2A. And another friend who has been learning for 6 years is also on PA 3B, but not as far.

#47035 - 04/19/10 06:39 PM Re: Is it ok to learn this fast?? [Re: FastLearner]
Piano Kitty Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: USA
Hello Fast Learner:
If my student starts from Grade 1, usually the following is their progress:
Piano Adventure Level 1: half year
Level 2A: 1 year
Level 2B: 1 year
Level 3A: 1 year
Level 3B: 1 year
Total 4 and half years to reach Level 3B.
Since you started later in your life, I will expected you to move faster in your levels. I would say that you are at a little bit faster than average students that I have in my studio.
For your friend that play for 6 years and still in Level 3B, I think that is a little slower than average.
However, I always tell the parents in my studio that all the children is different and their speed is different, that is why we need individual piano lesson but not a group lesson so that as a teacher, I can cater the curriculum, the speed according to student's abilities.
Fast Learner, most important is that you enjoy your piano lesson!
smile

#47046 - 04/20/10 02:52 AM Re: Is it ok to learn this fast?? [Re: Piano Kitty]
Arlene Steffen Moderator Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
There is no real timetable for anyone. You are probably a bit ahead due to your band experience and your age allows you to take in information more quickly.

Keep up the good work, and make sure that you listen very carefully to everything you do.

#47108 - 04/21/10 03:18 PM Re: Is it ok to learn this fast?? [Re: Arlene Steffen]
Dynames Offline

Loc: USA
I'm curious about this too... I started playing piano again less than four months ago, after a 3-year break. Before I quit, I was near the end of Alfred's Level F. My teacher started me on level 3B of Faber, and I'm already at the beginning of level 4. o...o Is this too fast? Sometimes she moves me on even if I don't have the timing right, but I do practice a lot.

#47145 - 04/22/10 12:39 PM Re: Is it ok to learn this fast?? [Re: Dynames]
FastLearner Offline
Contributing Member

@Dynames my teacher does that a lot. She'll say that something was wrong but move on. She also has me play songs that I have already practiced prior to the lesson. Because she knows that I play ahead laugh. I think that she knows that I can play the songs easily so she assigns me classical pieces from another book. For example, she assigned me Beethoven's Sonatina in G, and I am learning the second movement.

#47147 - 04/22/10 01:30 PM Re: Is it ok to learn this fast?? [Re: FastLearner]
Star Member

I'd be careful, if I were you. You aren't ready to move on if you are missing the basic element of rhythm! No skipping the essentials!

#47156 - 04/22/10 02:34 PM Re: Is it ok to learn this fast?? [Re: Arlene Steffen]
FastLearner Offline
Contributing Member

I know! My teacher finds mistakes but moves on. They are note-wise. Not rhythmic.

#47159 - 04/22/10 02:45 PM Re: Is it ok to learn this fast?? [Re: FastLearner]
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
If YOU are cognizant of the mistakes you are making and the teacher continues moving you on....maybe you need to find another teacher. It serves no purpose to continue jumping ahead just because you can pick out the notes of a piece. If you are missing key elements, you need to slow down.

#47162 - 04/22/10 03:39 PM Re: Is it ok to learn this fast?? [Re: FastLearner]
Star Member

I
Originally Posted By: FastLearner
I know! My teacher finds mistakes but moves on. They are note-wise. Not rhythmic.

I was commenting on the other poster.

Moderator:  Arlene Steffen 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics