Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#48052 - 05/30/10 01:33 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Leigh]
cecilly Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Illinois
Ooooh, awesome idea. Thanks for sharing.

#48055 - 05/30/10 03:28 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Un Suspiro]
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Originally Posted By: Un Suspiro
but I bet none of you have this one (drum-roll)... wink Buy the Jenga block game... !

I actually did this years ago and totally forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me. I need to dust it off the shelf! LOL.

#48059 - 05/30/10 07:16 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Jennifer]
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
I made a Jenga game, but it never dawned on me to put it in state theory test levels, Un Suspiro. Using a different for different levels level is a great idea. Thanks for the suggestion. However, I have made up a list with all the concepts from each level with games and worksheets for each level to help when I have group lesson.

#48063 - 05/30/10 11:36 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Un Suspiro]
cecilly Offline
Mainstay Member

So when you say "key signatures," are you hand drawing the grandstaff with all the sharps/flats, etc.? just the treble staff? How exactly are you drawing this on?

#48068 - 05/31/10 08:40 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: cecilly]
Un Suspiro Offline
Resident Member

As far as key signatures I want them to be able to not just see a staff with sharps and flats and know their keys... I want them to be able to know them by number or by letter name, so my blocks usually say something like, "A Major" (than I say, "tell me the key signature - they say "3 sharps, F, C & G"). Or I put "3 sharps" and they reply "A Major - F, C & G".

I have a cool trick to teaching all my key signatures... and it's so effective that my 3rd graders know all 15 already. So, learning key signatures has never been easier... so Jenga just helps solidify them smile

#48069 - 05/31/10 08:56 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Un Suspiro]
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Originally Posted By: Un Suspiro
I have a cool trick to teaching all my key signatures... and it's so effective that my 3rd graders know all 15 already. So, learning key signatures has never been easier... so Jenga just helps solidify them smile

You can't just say you have a cool trick without sharing? wink (Pretty please...)

#48070 - 05/31/10 11:56 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Jennifer]
Un Suspiro Offline
Resident Member

It's really, really hard to describe while typing! *groans* I just tried. It didn't make much sense. I wish I could verbally explain it to someone who in turn could post it in a way that was easy to follow. My "secret" is really corny... kinda like the silly Fat Cows Go Down And Eat Breakfast for remembering the sharps. It's not logical... it just works. Maybe I'll take the time on Wednesday or Thursday when I'm not teaching smile

#48072 - 06/01/10 07:40 AM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Un Suspiro]
ndmr Offline
Resident Member

A useful way for remembering the sequence of sharps and flats is the following: The black keys are in groups of twins and triplets. The first sharp is the bottom triplet, the next sharp is the bottom twin, then it's the next triplet up and then it's the next twin up, ect. For the flats it just starts with the top triplet and then top twin.

#48074 - 06/01/10 08:50 AM Re: Best Board Games [Re: ndmr]
cecilly Offline
Mainstay Member

Here's my corny trick...

For remebering the order of sharps: Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Bugs. I sit with my student on the floor and add the following mvmt as we chant...slap floor (Fat), pat lap (Cats), clap (Go), pat shoulders (Down), pat head (Alleys), clap above head (Eating), clap behind back (Bugs).

Then I teach the rule for figuring out any sharp key: id the last sharp in order and then go up 1/2 step.

For remembering flats: B E A D Good Clean Fun. I teach a simple Macarana hand dance mvmt to reinforce this: R palm crosses to L shoulder (B), L palm crosses to R shoulder (E), R hand pat R leg (A), L hand pat L leg (D), R palm up (Good), L palm up (Clean), Clap (Fun).

I then teach the rule for flat keys: id the final flat in order and then back up one. The exception is for the key of F which simply has to be memorized.

The mvmt simply makes it more interesting to learn the acronyms as well as cememt them in the memory. And we drill these many many times, esp. when encountering the various key signatures in their pieces.

#48123 - 06/02/10 02:29 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Leigh]
Nancyspiano Offline
Resident Member

Thanks SO much for this idea, UnSuspiro. I bought a Jenga game this morning, and it didn't take any time at all to write symbols on the blocks. I did an early elementary-Level2A set. My kids will love playing with this at our "end of the year" lessons this week!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Jon, Laura Chu Stokes, Lucy Chu 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics