Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#45862 - 02/19/10 04:24 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Betsy]
Wendy L. Stevens Offline
Resident Member

Solo Time Music Games has some interesting games on their site. I've just discovered these games, and I did a review of one here. There are games for the early levels MFPA (Splash Cats reviews white key note names) and ones for early intermediate levels. What I like best about them is that many can be played with a single player, so I have students complete them while waiting for their lesson.

She's got some creative looking ones for triads and intervals:
*Burger intervals (differentiating between Major, minor, and perfect intervals on the staff)
*Pyramid triads (very creative game for reinforcing the look of root position, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion triads)
*Three’s a Triad (for building triads)

#45865 - 02/19/10 04:37 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Wendy L. Stevens]
Wendy L. Stevens Offline
Resident Member

Uncanny...I just had a post appear in my rss feed reader that features a musical "board game" that you can print and make for free. It looks pretty fun and can be adapted to any curriculum. I imagine you could just print the backsides of the little cards and then write your own questions that would coincide with what you are teaching. Here's the link:
Adventures in Music

#45869 - 02/19/10 06:34 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Wendy L. Stevens]
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
Thanks Wendy! I already printed that game and can't wait to use it. How fun!

#45881 - 02/21/10 10:10 AM Re: Best Board Games [Re: xstitch4me]
AshleyJane Offline
Resident Member

Wow, thank you so much to everyone for your great ideas and helpful information! I really like the look of the Pianimals board game, but I will also look into some of these other games as well! The more the merrier!

#46987 - 04/18/10 02:22 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Betsy]
tdow Offline
Resident Member

I stumbled upon www.funmusicco.com one day and spent a Saturday making up all of the board games she has on the site. They may be a bit beyond the MFPA Book C or C, but kids in the Preliminary and up (even teens!) love them. We rotate the games at our studio, ensuring that we play at least one per month. It's a nice break from flash cards and worksheets.

#46991 - 04/18/10 03:50 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: tdow]
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Oh yes, I have these as well. They are great and you can adapt several of the games easily.

#47441 - 05/02/10 01:57 AM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Betsy]
tdow Offline
Resident Member

Just also tried the "Fly Swatter" flash cards from susanparadis.com and they were a huge hit. Not so much a board game, but has quickly become a favourite at our studio.

#47464 - 05/03/10 11:14 AM Re: Best Board Games [Re: tdow]
AshleyJane Offline
Resident Member

I have had more fun with my students with this game of key identification from D'Net's website.

For the girls, instead of army men, we just used colored game playing pieces from another game. It is so simple and yet so much fun...the kids love it!! Many many thanks for this!!!

http://laytonmusic.wordpress.com/2010/03/15/key-identification-game/

#48044 - 05/30/10 12:44 AM Re: Best Board Games [Re: AshleyJane]
Un Suspiro Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Texas
Well... ya'll are talking about buying already made games... but I bet none of you have this one (drum-roll)... wink No.. really, it's not that impressive, but this game was voted the favorite game of all 27 of my games by 33 of my 36 students. So it's pretty much a must for everyone. Infact, my 3 colleague teacher friends call to borrow it occasionally. smile

Buy the Jenga block game... get a sharpie (whatever color you want) and write key signatures, music terms or symbols on the blocks and play the game with the same rules! The kids pull out a block and name the correct symbol. If they're wrong they draw again (which they don't like because they don't want the blocks to tumble over). I have three levels of Jenga. The game is such great qaulity it'll last me forever. Each level is a different color. Level 1 is green (approx. Just the Facts 1 & 2). Level 2 is blue (JTF level 3 - 6) and level 3 is black (JTF 7-12).

I'm telling you... this will be the new favorite. Time consuming to make... but so worth it!

Edited by Un Suspiro (05/30/10 12:44 AM)

#48046 - 05/30/10 08:47 AM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Un Suspiro]
Leigh Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Michigan
grin LOVE IT!! I think I'll go out and buy a Jenga game today! I was trying to think of some NEW ideas for our last lesson together (I'm moving away) that would be fun and different, to distract us from the fact that this will be our final good-bye.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Jon, Laura Chu Stokes, Lucy Chu 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics