Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#45812 - 02/18/10 10:43 AM Best Board Games
AshleyJane Offline
Resident Member

I am thinking about investing in (not making) a fun board game for kids who are currently in MFPA Book B.

Can anyone recommend one that would be helpful for note reading for this level? I need something really fun that the kids will love and that will be a nice break from the books every now and then. Thanks!

#45825 - 02/18/10 03:25 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: AshleyJane]
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
The board game I use A LOT in my studio and is a favorite among students is the Pianimals board game:
http://www.pianimals.com/game.htm#1

#45827 - 02/18/10 05:06 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Jennifer]
AshleyJane Offline
Resident Member

Thanks Jennifer! I tried to enlarge the game board but can not see exactly what is marked on it. Can you give me an idea of the game? What are some of the questions? This looks very much like what I had in mind. How long does it take to complete a game one on one? Thanks so much!

#45828 - 02/18/10 05:51 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: AshleyJane]
Star Member

Okay, the yellow cards have theory questions and they are leveled according what book they are in. So level A and B questions would be more like name this key on the keyboard (showing graphic) or how many counts does a half note get? Just basic stuff. Then it goes up from there up to what you would see for level 2. The blue cards are rhythm cards.

So they roll the die, if they land on a key with nothing on it, I have them name the key, if they land on a hand they draw a rhythm card if they land on a ? they take a question (theory) card. Then there are ways to go forwards, backwards (8va's, glissando's etc...) and some fun stuff like forgot your music- miss a turn, or memorized a song- roll again.

The game could go really fast if they are lucky and land on some of those forward keys. Too make it go slower I have them also use the black keys as a space and then they also name the sharp or flat.

Hope that gives you a better idea! wink

#45829 - 02/18/10 06:44 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Jennifer]
Stanny Offline
Mainstay Member

That looks neat! How many can play it at one time?

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
MTNA Member
www.summitpiano.com

#45833 - 02/18/10 09:19 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Stanny]
Teachalot Offline

My students love Musical Adventures by Alfred. It comes with lever one questions. You can purchase additional levels separately. The game board is illustrated and colorful, like a "real" game. I believe there are five markers. The level one questions have rhythms to clap out, quarter, half and whole note, identify the note with a pic of the keyboard, and piano, forte, and repeat sign.

#45834 - 02/18/10 09:29 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Stanny]
rebeccawmusic Offline

My students love this game:

Musical Pairs Card Game

It's a deck of cards with the notes on the staff and the letter name below. I use it to play Go Fish and Memory with my students. I was a little bit skeptical at first (due to the fact that the note names are on the cards) but it really has helped my students to learn their notes. (I just make sure I have them name the placement of the note on the staff in addition to the note name (i.e. they have to say "E on the first line of the treble clef" instead of "E" when naming the card.)

It's adaptable to a variety of levels, too. It includes sharps and flats, so sometimes I pull those out and we only use the naturals... Other times I pull out all of the Treble Clef or Bass Clef cards. It just depends on what skills I want to reinforce.

Hope that helps!

#45838 - 02/19/10 10:54 AM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Stanny]
Star Member

Originally Posted By: Stanny
That looks neat! How many can play it at one time?

There are 8 markers. It's very adaptable, I have played it with just me and a student on up to a group of 8. I'm sure you can even add more markers if you wanted.

The other thing I really like about this board game is it is collapsable and it all fits in a large ziploc bag so it doesn't take a lot of room.

#45847 - 02/19/10 01:15 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: Jennifer]
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
A very cheap/quick option for a board game is to find some sets of OLD flashcards with notes, terms, dynamics, etc, and simply make a "musical trail" using the cards on the floor. Maybe find stuffed animals (the ones Vivace is hiding) to be the markers.

Students may have fun turning over the cards to see if they are correct (assuming anser is on back), and then it's also a visual/memory game also like Concentration. I've told students in groups before that you may not KNOW the answer the first time, but you may be able to REMEMBER it when it comes around again. You can also change cards during the game to increase the challenge or lessen it.

I ALWAYS prefer the highly adaptable, versatile games when teaching groups.

#45856 - 02/19/10 03:12 PM Re: Best Board Games [Re: John]
Betsy Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Rural Minnesota
D'Net Layton has instructions for modifying Candyland on her website: http://laytonmusic.wordpress.com/2007/12/03/candyland-music-sytle/

I found a more compact version of Candyland at Target, in a smaller book-shaped plastic box which holds up well for sending the game home with students.

D'Net has several other really creative ideas, too.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Jon, Laura Chu Stokes, Lucy Chu 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics