Topic Options
#41016 - 03/22/09 07:12 PM Graduating from Level 5...Now what?
PianoParadox Offline

Loc: Ilinois
I am in the middle of the Piano Adventures Level 5 right now, and my teacher says I can pick up harder pieces to practice after this. Can you recommend any good piano pieces for me?
If it helps, I'm 12.
Thank You!:)

PianoParadox

#41017 - 03/22/09 09:18 PM Re: Graduating from Level 5...Now what? [Re: PianoParadox]
PianoAddict Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Maryland, USA
To start: Clementi sonatinas (no. 2 and up) you've already done some parts of no. 1 from piano adventures. Mozart Sonata in C major, K545. Bach 2-part inventions: start with #1 or #8. Fur Elise by Beethoven. Chopin nocturne in C minor (posthumous). (get Alfred's Chopin: Introduction to his works)

Congrats! Have fun!

#41024 - 03/23/09 11:58 PM Re: Graduating from Level 5...Now what? [Re: PianoAddict]
GailS Offline
Mainstay Member

Here is a past discussion with a number of suggestions.

After Book 5

#41025 - 03/24/09 09:01 AM Re: Graduating from Level 5...Now what? [Re: GailS]
Jason Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
There's an excellent book published by Alfred called "Essential Keyboard Repertoire," that has a lot of great music from all different time periods.

If you're interested in pop and jazz, then look at Christopher Norton's "Connections" series. After PA Level 5, Connections level 4 would probably be about right. (Same with the Celebration Series books, which follow the same grading system but contain mostly classical music.)

I'd also suggest getting started on the Sonatina repertoire. One of my favorite sonatina books is the one published by Schirmer and edited by Jeffrey Biegel. He also recorded the pieces on a CD that comes with the book. He's a wonderful pianist and his performances are fantastic.

Another of my favorite books is "A Japanese Festival" by Yoshinao Nakada. It has a little of everything, from the quiet and beautiful "Song of Twilight" to the brilliant and flashy "Etude Allegro."

I hope that gives you some ideas. Happy Practicing!
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#41219 - 04/07/09 09:13 PM Re: Graduating from Level 5...Now what? [Re: Jason]
PianoParadox Offline

Loc: Ilinois
My teacher has already started me on the easiest of the Celebration Series books, and she makes me figure out a song on my own every week and the I play it for her on Piano Lesson Day.
She says it's good for me to figure out stuff on my own.

Moderator:  Lisa K. Studtmann 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts