Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#40999 - 03/19/09 12:13 AM Attention Everyone!
Jason Moderator Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Hello all,

It's been a while since I exercised my Moderation Powers, but I wanted to take a moment to do a few things that are sorely overdue.

First, if you are new to the forums or are a long time lurker, I'd like to invite you to get involved and start posting! I've been on various internet forums for almost 15 years now, and I can safely say that New Posters are what keep forums alive.

I've also noticed over the years that it takes quite a bit of courage to overcome the inertia that prevents new people from posting. Internet forums (this one included) tend to be like Sports Bars. A relatively small number of "regulars" provide the customer base it takes to keep the seats full and the drinks flowing, but at the same time, it can create an atmosphere where new people are hesitant to come in and join the crowd.

So, this is a twofold invitation:

1) New People: Get involved! Post something, answer a question, or just reply to this topic to introduce yourself and say hello!

2) "Regulars": Give people a chance! Whether they're asking a question that's been answered 1000000 times or wanting to discuss Non-Faber materials, treat each post like it's the first of it's kind you've ever seen. Every topic under the sun deserves to be re-examined from time to time, and good hand position is good hand position, whether you're using Piano Adventures, Bastien Piano Basics, Music for Little Mozarts, Piano Town, John Thompson, or Ferdinand Beyer.

So there you go - no more excuses! Introduce yourself and join the discussions here at the Piano Club!

Best,

Jason
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#42493 - 08/05/09 10:20 AM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: Jason]
SQ14 Offline

Loc: Singapore
Hi everyone! I'm Paulene from Singapore, nice to meet you all here, and I've learnt a lot from reading this wonderful forum. Thanks and looking forward to more good stuff! smile

#42494 - 08/05/09 11:36 AM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: SQ14]
pianoc Offline
Star Member

Loc: Goshen, Indiana
Welcome!

#42509 - 08/06/09 11:23 PM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: SQ14]
Suzan Pleva Offline

Loc: Michigan
Hello Paulene! It's great to meet you! I am so happy to welcome you to this great forum. I look forward to sharing ideas with you in the future!
www.melodypiano.net
www.melodypiano.blogspot.com

#42514 - 08/07/09 01:14 PM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: Jason]
Vivian Offline

Loc: Page, AZ
Okay, I will jump in and introduce myself. I've been lurking in the shadows for a long time. I teach piano lessons in a small town in northern Arizona. I have 28 students, including a little boy who is autistic and a little girl who has CP. I taught from 1978 to 1983, stopped and started again three years ago. I love what I'm doing. I'm married, have four grown children and three grandchildren and a two cats.

I am a bit shy about posting, but I will try to step up and participate in some of the discussions. I think this is a pretty good forum.

#42515 - 08/07/09 02:36 PM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: Vivian]
Jennifer Online   content
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Welcome to the forum Vivian! smile

#42519 - 08/07/09 02:50 PM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: Jennifer]
Vivian Offline

Loc: Page, AZ
Thank you! I've always enjoyed reading what many of you have to say. smile

#42522 - 08/07/09 06:46 PM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: Vivian]
Stanny Offline
Mainstay Member

Welcome, Vivian and SQ14!

I too was a lurker long before I started posting here. This forum has been SO helpful to my teaching studio!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
MTNA Member
www.summitpiano.com

#44695 - 12/22/09 09:52 PM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: Stanny]
Betsy Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Rural Minnesota
This thread has been quiet for a while, so I'll wake it up and see if anyone else is new and wants to introduce themselves!

I've been lurking and learning for a couple months. I teach in a small town in Minnesota and have 21 students including 3 moms. I'm a new teacher, started just 2 years ago, and am not a music major so I've got a lot to learn.

Probably shouldn't admit it here, but I'm using John Thompson for a lot of my students. If only they'd eliminate virtually every finger number in the 1st Grade book, I'd be really happy with it. But it moves pretty quickly and some students just aren't up to that. Very young beginners, or students without much help at home, are using PA with great success. Just wish PA moved a little faster. Many of my students began at age 9/10 - so they're maturing faster than the books do. I also don't care for having so many different books for technique, theory, etc.

I supplement the JT books with various theory and workbook assignments and also always have the kids working on something fun since the repertoire is pretty dry, but definitely solid. The Faber supplements come in handy in this area and the students enjoy the distinct contrast to JT.

Thanks to everyone for valuable insights!!

#44705 - 12/23/09 04:39 PM Re: Attention Everyone! [Re: Betsy]
Vivace' Offline
Star Member

Loc: USA
Welcome to all of you!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Jason, Jon, Suzanne Guy 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5