Topic Options
#38823 - 08/06/08 11:53 PM Curved fingers and black keys
C.Y. Offline
Contributing Member

My son usually can curve his fingers when playing just white keys. He started PA 1 unit 6 two weeks ago and he usually won't curve fingers when playing black keys because the small hands are hard to reach those black keys. T&A book says to walk up to the black key by raising wrist slightly. But it is hard to do that when the keys to be played is white, black, white, black with a fast tempo (like "the crazy clown" and "the crawling spider" in the performance book). Do you actually play it like "walk up", "walk down", "walk up", etc. to make sure use curve fingers to play black keys or it is OK to play black keys with extended fingers. Thanks!

#38825 - 08/07/08 01:38 AM Re: Curved fingers and black keys [Re: C.Y.]
Arlene Steffen Moderator Offline
Star Member

Loc: Fresno, CA USA
You can stop worrying. He's young, doesn't have the fine motor control and black keys feel different than white keys. A bit of extension is fine.

Are you teaching him or does he have another teacher?

#38840 - 08/07/08 10:54 PM Re: Curved fingers and black keys [Re: Arlene Steffen]
C.Y. Offline
Contributing Member

Thanks for the answer. I am not worried at all, just curious about how most teachers would ask kids to play black keys, especially T&A book mentions the "walk up" method.

I don't have music background. I sit in and listen to the lessons and try to remember as much as I can what his teacher said or played. I am also learning along with him. Not that I really want to learn, just try to make practice time a little fun. When he practices, I will remind him what his teacher emphasizes (like curved fingers, downbeat, etc). After that, it's his turn to be the teacher while I play (I should say I try to play. xD).

Moderator:  Arlene Steffen 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts