Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#37339 - 03/11/08 10:27 PM Re: Helping my kids with practice [Re: eaHarris]
Lawana Offline

Loc: GA
Thank you all for your input. The suggestions to schedule a conference and record the lessons are valuable, and I will remember them for future use. Considering everything, however, and there are other issues as well, I've decided that it is time to change teachers. Even though that is not the way I phrased my original post, I've realized that dissatisfaction with the current teacher was at the heart of the matter. I did not want, though, to come to a piano teachers' forum to complain about one of "you."

I called a different teacher today, and she said she provides detailed written instructions for practice. Her lessons are 45 minutes so that she does have time to write everything down. I will call some others also. I sure wish I knew back when we started with the first teacher which questions to ask.

I think PA is a wonderful program and I have learned a lot from these forums. It's great to have informed opinions to consider when making this decision. I hope you all won't mind if I ask for your experienced input in the future.

Lawana

#37342 - 03/12/08 12:55 AM Re: Helping my kids with practice [Re: Lawana]
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
I guess I'm confused. Apparently, there are issues you did not discuss because from reading your previous post, there doesn't seem a real reason for changing teachers. It sounds like she's doing a fabulous job with your kids but for some reason you are not happy. Sometimes, it's risky to change teachers when things are going well....good luck. I also don't think it's fair for a teacher to be expected to write down every little thing she goes over with the students. As a teacher, I wouldn't like to be tape recorded during each lesson either. If you feel there's a problem with the lessons you should be attending them. Maybe it's just that YOU expect too much. If what you said about your kids progress is true.....they're doing great and moving at a much faster pace than the average student. I seem to think it's more of a personal matter between you and the teacher and not necessarily her teaching methods. I'm also confused by your statement "I sure wish I knew back when we started with the first teacher which questions to ask." I haven't heard anything that would make me believe she's a terrible teacher. JMO

#37361 - 03/12/08 06:24 PM Re: Helping my kids with practice [Re: xstitch4me]
Lawana Offline

Sorry to be confusing. Let me try to be a little more clear. My original post asked whether I was too involved with my kids practice.

From the time my daughter started lessons at age 7, I would sit with her while she practiced, because she was given a list of pieces with page numbers and no other written directions whatsoever. If dd was given verbal instructions about how to practice, they were not sufficient for a 7 year old to implement on her own. The one exception was when eighth notes were introduced. The teacher did spend time explaining and working on them. So dd would learn the pieces with my coaching, including me explaining new concepts, return to her lesson the next week, and play the prepared pieces for her teacher. I can't remember a single time when she went back without being able to play each piece with the correct notes, rhythm, articulation, and generally dynamics.

Since I was within earshot of the piano, I could hear that she would play each piece a few times, then go on to the next. Dd would generally be assigned on 5-9 pieces including theory, so playing the assigned pieces with whatever input the teacher gave and going over the theory assignment took up almost all the time. At the end of the lesson, the teacher would write down the next 5 to 9 pieces and the lesson would be over. On the few occasions that they would get through a little early, the teacher would have dd start on her next theory assignment. When I asked my daughter what the teacher said about the next pieces, she would say "nothing." It may very well be that she did say something about the upcoming pieces, but again it did not translate into meaningful information for dd. I didn't really think much about whether her teaching methods were lacking, because I enjoyed the practice time with my daughter.

At the year end recital, the teacher would give awards for passing off the most pieces, the outstanding student, etc. I was completely astounded that dd had passed off 175 pieces even though she had started part way into the year, and that the next highest number for any other student was 75. Dd also received the outstanding student award. I had no idea that what we were doing was in any way unusual, it just seemed like what needed to be done given that I wanted to see my daughter progress in her piano studies, as it was clear she couldn't really do it on her own. The teacher has a reticent personality, and there wasn't any communication from her about how she thought dd was doing.
Once the pattern of my helping dd was established, there didn't seem to be any reason to change it. Dd was doing well, she enjoyed playing and I enjoyed the time together. When it came time for ds to take lessons we just added him into the schedule and I helped him the same way I helped dd.
I should note that I had already taken my daughter through the first 2 books of the "Music for Little Mozarts" series, so she was reading notes from the staff before she started lessons. I took ds through all 4 books of the same series before he started lessons.
As time went by, I noticed that this teacher cycled through an awful lot of beginning students that stayed a year or less. Also, a good friend of mine started her daughters with this teacher about a year after dd started. Her older daughter, who was 8 at the time had been taking lessons since she was 4, and had completed Bastien level 1. She continued with Bastien 2, then the teacher switched her to PA 2B. She has been with this teacher now for 3 years, completing 2B in January of this year. So that was 3 years to complete Bastien 2 and PA 2B. The younger daughter, who was 6 at the time, was in the 2nd Bastien primer for young students. The teacher switched her to PA primer and she is currently about half way through PA level 1. So that was 3 years to complete the primer and half of level 1.
2 of her other students, now 9, are less than halfway through PA 1 after almost 3 years of lessons, though I happen to know that they get no support at home. She has 2 students (out of about 12) other than my 2 that are progressing at a decent pace, both of them being self-motivated, goal oriented personalities that seem to have a real aptitude.

One more thing then I'll stop belaboring the issue. For the May recital 2007, dd chose to perform Minuet in G from the PA 3B Performance book. She learned it, but it didn't sound very good- eighth notes uneven, tempo not even, she wanted to play it too fast. I decided to step back and let the teacher handle the issues. Each week for several weeks, dd played it for the teacher. The teacher instructed her to "practice with a metronome," which dd did, but it never really sounded any better. Finally, a week and a half before the recital I couldn't stand it any more. I had dd take it line by line, slow down to a rediculously slow tempo, and then once she could play it perfectly, gradually increase the tempo. Next lesson the teacher said it sounded much better and dd did a great job playing it at the recital.

I say this not to pat myself on the back, but as a way to explain that dd could indeed be doing so well even if the teacher wasn't doing that much to help. This teacher is really a nice person, plays beautifully herself, but doesn't seem to have much of a knack for teaching piano. We've gone with her this long precisely because the kids were able to progress. But now that dd's level is reaching the end of my competence, something has to change, hence looking for a new teacher. And, as I said in the original post, I really wondered whether the amount of help I was providing was in the best interest of my kids in the long run.

I apologize for not making myself clear. The process of writing it all out has helped me to recognize what all the issues really are. And for anyone who is still reading this interminable reply, thank you. And thanks again to those who took the time to make comments and suggestions.

Lawana

#37367 - 03/13/08 12:35 AM Re: Helping my kids with practice [Re: Lawana]
D'Net Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Southwest
Do you have any desire to move to Mesa, AZ? I love teaching children with parents like you!

As to your questions, I don't think you were doing a disservice practicing that way with your daughter. It is because of you that your children are progressing at the rate they are.

I taught my daughter from 5-7. Just after she turned 8, I had her take lessons from a friend of mine who is a fantastic teacher. Half of the reason was for me to learn for her teaching, the other half for my daughter to have such a wonderful teacher. I still sit with her at her practice time, though. Even when her teacher goes over things with her, it's not always enough. The first day or two after her lessons I sit right next to her and help. The rest of the week I just have to be nearby to keep things on track.

As she grows and reaches the age of your daughter, I am hoping she will need me less, and can do a bit more on her own. If not, though, no big deal. We both really enjoy that time together, and at a certain point she won't need it as much anyway. I have to say, though, that I loved it when my parents listened to my practice time as much at 17 as I did at 7. Neither of my parents play any musical instrument, but I loved the fact that they cared about me enough to listen to me do something that was so important to me.

#37379 - 03/13/08 03:17 PM Re: Helping my kids with practice [Re: D'Net]
misslaluna Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Broussard, LA
I will say this though - sometimes, as a teacher, we think a child knows what to do when they leave, and sometimes they don't. That's when it's up to the parent to let us know, "Hey, she got home with it and didn't remember or know what to do." Then, I know to back up. I have had this happen to me. I have learned that less is usually more when it comes to home practicing. What they remember and recall to do when they get home is very different from what they can produce under my coaching during a lesson.

That being said - if you have been helping your daughter, the teacher may not know that your daughter is not "catching on" to things. The teacher may have also come to the conclusion, "If it ain't broke don't fix it."

#37384 - 03/13/08 10:44 PM Re: Helping my kids with practice [Re: misslaluna]
Lawana Offline

D'Net- Thank you for your kind words. And misslaluna- I agree that the teacher probably accepted the status quo. With her personality and mine, a situation arose that seemed to work for a time, but now needs to evolve.
Even though changing teachers may seem like a way to avoid confronting the issues head on, I think a different teaching style and personality would suit us better at this point. The bottom line is that I want my children to have the best instruction I can find and afford, one aspect being a good fit. I want my children to love playing the piano, enjoy good music and develop a skill that will serve them a lifetime.

#37419 - 03/15/08 12:46 PM Re: Helping my kids with practice [Re: eaHarris]
pianoc Offline
Star Member

Loc: Goshen, Indiana
After reading everyone's comments and then going back to Lawana's first question - she is really asking if her involvement is helping or hurting - and if she may be taking over the teacher's job.

It doesn't look like there is really any reason to be changing teachers, unless after you have a conference with the teacher and after observing several lessons, you discover that you really are doing all the teaching.

If the teacher is teaching - and your daughter still really likes you with her during her lesson - you may just adjust what you do with her. Just listen and enjoy. If something sounds off, just ask her to re-check what she did. You don't have to know what was wrong to do that.

The teacher should know about this change in roles for you, because she may be taken off guard when your daughter doesn't come with something as well prepared as normal. There's nothing wrong with this change, but the teacher will need to know why. It can clue her into what your child is understanding from her explanation and what your child is understanding from your reinforcement. It may slow the progress a bit, but it will also help your daughter become the independent player that we all want our students to become.

The main thing - in my opinion - is that both you and the teacher understand what each of you is doing and are OK with that.

#37420 - 03/15/08 08:37 PM Re: Helping my kids with practice [Re: pianoc]
Ceil Offline
Resident Member

Loc: California
I just now found this thread, and want to toss in my two cents. First of all, Lawana, you are a piano teacher's dream parent! It's wonderful that you are so involved. Backing off somewhat will probably occur naturally as they get older. If your kids are welcoming your involvement, then I think it's O.K. As for the teacher, it sounds like she is doing well; the missing part is the listening to the lesson. I'd actually sit in on a few complete lessons before deciding about her.

Regarding comments about whether the teacher is teaching well if there aren't specific practice instructions written out, I know in my own teaching it varies with the student and with the assignment. Sometimes, their assignment books do only list the pieces assigned, and there might be items circled in their books. I think a circled crescendo in the score will be more noticed than a sentence in the assignment book to follow the dynamics. Also, I have students who "forget" to play a piece, and I always say that don't have to remember -- I write it down in their assignment book for them. If they don't look at it to see their assignments, they aren't going to see other instructions in it! Of course, this kind of thing also varies with the student. Which brings me to --

I find I'm less willing to feel completely responsible when students:

- don't practice
- don't practice carefully, following instructions
- don't do their theory
- decide they don't want lessons!!!

I have a mixture of students somewhere between Momlady's and xstitch's -- I have students who are dedicated and I've had for years, and I have students who don't make it out of Primer. I have students who practice faithfully and I have students who I feel haven't taken their books from their bag all week. I take neither the glory nor the blame for it all. I have parents who are very involved and I have parents who see this as another thing Precious is trying out -- and Precious won't have more than 10 minutes now and again for practice, and Parent certainly isn't going to make them!

With all of them, I do the best I can, and try to make it enjoyable. I also let them know that the more they do, the better they will like it. I've had students and parents I'd like to drop. I'd like to have only the 30 - 40 percent who really LOVE piano -- practicing and their lessons, but I have to be realistic, and keep all I can. Phew -- I feel better now.

edit -- I just reread some earlier posts and have a couple of more comments: I think I must have missed the part about the teacher not going over new assignments at all, but just writing the page numbers down. I do believe new pieces need to be discussed and played in the lesson before being sent home. If that is indeed all she does, then I would think about making a change.

Also, re: the part about the other student who was in Bastien 2 and PA 2B for three years: I have two students just like that, and I have many more that have flown through those books. Again, students vary; don't be too quick to blame the teacher because it takes however long it takes to complete a level.

Edited by Ceil (03/15/08 08:53 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Lilla 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums