Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#42253 - 07/10/09 04:05 PM Re: four year old [Re: Jacki]
bnich Offline
Resident Member

I think that may be the MFPA Lesson Book...the Lesson Book also references pages in the Writing Book, like most books in Faber's Piano Adventure series.

And a few of the tracks on the CD are not in the Lesson, but the Writing Book...

#42262 - 07/11/09 12:34 PM Re: four year old [Re: bnich]
Ginger Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Indianapolis, Indiana
The Grand Staff Games are in the back of the Lesson Book A, starting on Page 84 and goes to page 87. These games are games to help introduce staff reading in Book B

#42291 - 07/14/09 02:52 PM Re: four year old [Re: Ginger]
Jacki Offline

Loc: FL
Thanks for the explanation!

#42316 - 07/16/09 05:28 PM Re: four year old [Re: Lisa Kalmar]
Jacki Offline

Originally Posted By: Lisa Kalmar
Ashley Jane,

Yes, but release date is unknown (to moi) at this time. You will NOT be disappointed by waiting. It is just awesome.

Hey, Lisa! Is there any update on when this 4-year-old course will be ready? Is it still in the works or have they dropped it? Can you tell us anything at all about it?! What kind of concepts are presented that are different from MFPA for example...? I mean is there more activity, coloring, etc., besides hands-on piano work or what?

Thanks!

#42317 - 07/16/09 06:03 PM Re: four year old [Re: Jacki]
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Jon just answered somewhere that it is still "in process"...

#42319 - 07/16/09 09:20 PM Re: four year old [Re: Lisa Kalmar]
Jacki Offline

Can you give any hints as to what's going to be different about this course? You'd mentioned it was very good and was going to be worth the wait - which indicates you may have actually seen some of the material - so I"m just curious! Thanks!

#42334 - 07/17/09 06:32 PM Re: four year old [Re: Jacki]
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Due to a signed confidentiality agreement, we (pilot teachers) aren't allowed to discuss specifics prior to publication. Sorry I can't discuss further. But it IS awesome, heh. cool

#42390 - 07/23/09 05:54 PM Re: four year old [Re: Lisa Kalmar]
Jacki Offline

Originally Posted By: Lisa Kalmar
Due to a signed confidentiality agreement, we (pilot teachers) aren't allowed to discuss specifics prior to publication. Sorry I can't discuss further. But it IS awesome, heh. cool

Oh, okay!! Sorry - I understand that completely... smile

#42391 - 07/23/09 05:57 PM Re: four year old [Re: AshleyJane]
Jacki Offline

Hi, Everyone...

Phew!!!! Just had my 3rd lesson with my little 4.5-year-old... and I'm wiped! I had decided to stick with MFPA for now since she seems to enjoy it better than Pianimals... I really *thought* today would be great! Fun stuff only - nothing demanding! I guess today was just an "off" day for her. She immediately said she wanted to do something new - and I said we were going to do something new, so yay! I'd planned to get into Stone on the Mountain today and I had little plastic golf balls for her to hold as the "stones". Well - first problem is she wanted to be the one to pick what new thing we did - and she went all the way to the back of the book and picked something there was no way she could do yet! I was like, oh boy... I tried to explain that in piano we have to learn things before we can do other things...

Started playing the CD for Stone... She "sort of" copied what I was doing but when it said "fall to the ground" - she THREW the balls on the floor! Then of course, the rest of the song she was chasing the balls all over the room (we have ceramic tile floors). I did it several times and tried to show her at least the "lift your thumb, tap 1-2-3" - she "sort of" did that... I felt it was a lost cause.

Went on to the page with the left hand/right hand and she did the slapping the hand on the page that I said while singing Mary had a little lamb... When I played This Old Man on the CD and tried to get her to use the right finger number and do the motions it was saying, she wasn't into that at ALL. I just did it anyway while she watched, but she did NOT like the fact that they say "cow" or "pig" instead of "dog" - she said she didn't want it to say it wrong!

When I went to another song she wanted to scratch out every picture of poor "Tap" - she said she's tired of him! I did get her to trace her left hand and right hand in the writing book - and, LOL, she asked me to please "be quiet" because she was trying to think!! She's a little spit-fire, that's for sure!

I don't know if today was a total bust or what. Maybe she *did* get something out of all the things we did. I even tried to go ahead with the 2 stories in the writing book - but she mainly wanted to take the crayons and colored pencils and draw all over everything instead of doing what I was trying to get her to do. I explained we needed to put the colors up for now. I ended up with crayons, pencils, balls, and stuffed animals all over the room after she left...

I was just rewatching the Video Tour of MFPA and he said the main thing was "activity" and "fun" - and I really *thought* that's what we were doing...!! But wow... I don't know if the problem is me - that I just don't know how to relate to one so young - or if I need to get more "in charge" - how do you balance between letting the child "have fun" and insert their independence - but still getting them to do what you're instructing them to!! I don't know if I need MORE structure - or LESS...

After today, I've started wondering if I shouldn't tell the mom that we'll try again after she turns 5 in Dec. But then I don't want to discourage either of them, and if I can somehow just keep it fun enough that we're doing SOME progress each time - I mean I don't want to give up after just 3 lessons! The child *is* very bright and seems to enjoy it (or I think so anyway).

Oh - and the mom is so excited she called me today and asked if I'd take her on as a student as well - so I started her in the Adult Piano Adventure book this afternoon (she came at a different time for her lesson)... So maybe I can somehow incorporate their 2 lessons together, though the little one can't really be left alone in the other room to wait on her mom...

Any ideas/suggestions greatly appreciated!

- Jacki

#42393 - 07/23/09 06:27 PM Re: four year old [Re: Jacki]
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
My suggestion would be that you ask Mom to be in the studio while her daughter is having a lesson.

I bet her daughter will be more behaved and more likely to want to do as you ask with Mom there.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts