Topic Options
#34782 - 08/01/07 07:54 PM Music Together?
Studio88 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central MN
Is anyone familiar with this program? I saw an ad for it in the American Music Teacher magazine. Looks like a Musikgarten/Kindermusik type of thing. Just curious if it's reputable and what it's like.

#34783 - 08/01/07 08:23 PM Re: Music Together? [Re: Studio88]
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
I'm not knowledgeable about all the aspects of the program but the basic premise of it is 'family music', classes where several age groups (the entire family) can participate in music at the same time. The idea is that older children lead the younger ones and little ones learn by imitating their older siblings. I think it's a very reputable program, although I personally prefer to teach music classes where kids are grouped by age (18m-2's, 3's, then 4's, etc..).

#34954 - 08/21/07 12:06 AM Re: Music Together? [Re: alidoremi]
MusicTeacherMom Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Utah
Music Together is fabulous! My son went for two semesters when he was 3.5 years old. I am planning to take my dd starting next year. We loved it so much that we were willing to drive 45 minutes to classes. It's very reputable, and based on very sound approaches to early childhood music education. It's based mostly on the work of music educator Ed Gordon, and also incorporates Kodaly, Dalcroze, etc.

I love that they are mixed age classes promoting making music as families. My ds was 3, and I loved that he could interact with babies. The classes really do meet the needs of almost all the kids regardless of age. My ds had a pretty strong musical background at home, yet he still loved Music Together and gained a lot from it. And the tiny babies I saw there seemed to be getting a lot out of it too.

Music Together focuses on two main goals: helping children learn to sing in tune and helping them to be able to keep a beat. They move, dance, play simple instruments, sing, do actions, etc. but the underlying goal of everything is to promote pitch and rhythmic development, and it definitely worked for my son.

I found the teachers to be well-trained. All of the teachers at the center we used had strong backgrounds in music, dance, etc. My understanding is that in order to teach classes, you have to buy a Music Together franchise or you have to be employed by one...you can't just take the training and teach out of your home like Kindermusik. I like that--to me, it helps ensure teachers who really know what they are doing.

Moderator:  Jon, Lisa K. Studtmann 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts