Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#34545 - 04/13/07 10:04 AM Welcome to the new online guide!
Jon Administrator Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
We are thrilled to announce the launch of our new online guide to teaching the Piano Adventures Primer Level. We hope that the step-by-step plans, creative tips, and see-it-in-action video clips will invigorate the studios of new Piano Adventures teachers and veterans alike! Inside, you will also find articles on the philosophy behind the method, a correlation reference chart, and repertoire suggestions for recital themes.

Click here to LAUNCH the online guide now!

Let us know what you think!

#34546 - 04/13/07 10:12 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Jennifer Offline
Star Member

Loc: AZ
Oops- I just posted a new thread about this. This is AWESOME! Better than anything I could have imagined! TWO THUMBS WAY UP!

Will this always be available online?

#34547 - 04/13/07 10:17 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
sdps Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Whitehouse, Texas USA
Words cannot express how excited I am to be personally tutored by the Fabers themselves in teaching this excellent method.

I've been thrilled with the books for years but now, to have step-by-step instruction directly from the composers is beyond my wildest dreams! Their insight into the pieces and additional ideas for introducing them is wonderful.

I can't wait to snag a new beginner and start teaching them the FABER way!!!

Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU

#34548 - 04/13/07 10:25 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Ceil Offline
Resident Member

Loc: California
Wow! This is wonderful! Thank you, thank you, thank you! \:\)

#34549 - 04/13/07 10:28 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
This is totally amazing!! I cannot wait for the next levels to be done. Thank you so much for this invaluable teaching tool! Thank you Fabers and Marienne!

#34550 - 04/13/07 11:08 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
susanmusic Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Hanover, PA
Wow! I would have paid a lot for this!

#34551 - 04/13/07 12:20 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Wonderful!! I never expected something as good as this. However, with the Fabers, you always expect the very best.
Thank you so much. Our students will be the winners.

#34552 - 04/13/07 12:27 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
PianoPlayer620 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Nova Scotia
This is awesome!!! I just did the Elephant song with a boyi an hour ago, and used the shole leg and trunk thing.. and it really worked soooo well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#34553 - 04/13/07 01:02 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Mrs. Q Offline

Loc: Ohio
Absolutely fantastic! Fabulous content, outstanding layout!

I may just direct parents to the Philosophy and Articles pages! Wonderful explanations that truly express putting the student first.

Marvelous! Thank you to the Fabers, Ms. Uszler, and all who took part in the creation of this guide!

#34554 - 04/13/07 02:06 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
This is absolutely wonderful! One of my advanced students recently started teaching several children(under my supervision) using the Piano Adventures primer materials. I can't wait to tell him about this teaching guide!

#34555 - 04/14/07 03:19 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Niftynote Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mooresville, Indiana
This is so great! It helps to have this instruction for teachers so readily available now! I love being able to go right to the song being worked on!

#34556 - 04/14/07 04:58 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Dorothy Anna Offline

Loc: Midwest
Thank you!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!

I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!

This website is so great and I continue to learn so much from everyone. I am glad I found this.

#34557 - 04/14/07 11:06 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
GailS Offline
Mainstay Member

Awesome!!

What a wonderful gift!!

I just stopped by the website to take a break from taxes and this really brightened my otherwise stressful day.

I was waiting for the opportunity to purchase this when it came out. I'll definitely be looking for the next level guide and saving a spot on next years schedule C for it. \:\)

#34558 - 04/14/07 01:44 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Lisa Kalmar Offline
Star Member

Loc: KC
Simply. Incredible.

This is cutting edge and at the top of the class. Congrats to all involved for another monumental achievement towards better pedagogy for all. Lisa

#34559 - 04/14/07 01:45 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
John Offline
Star Member

Loc: Bellingham, WA
Sad that I won't get to really look at this until later in week \:\( , but thrilled that it exists! \:D \:\)

Not to get all prophetic, but resources like this site and piano teaching podcasts, etc., will certainly inspire and educate many younger teachers to a level that wasn't even possible before (without pedagogy classes and mentors).

It is also REALLY SMART from a marketing perspective. As more teachers begin using the Faber series effectively and as the authors intended, we will hopefully have more successful piano students progressing through the books. WIN/WIN. \:D Imagine stores selling as many Level 5's as they do Primers!

#34560 - 04/15/07 01:06 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Rhondo Offline
Resident Member

Loc: GA
This is fantastic!! Thank you for this user-friendly resource. Priceless. I hope this is a permanent feature.

#34561 - 04/16/07 05:37 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
keynote88 Offline
Resident Member

This is wonderful! I am so excited to have it available online! Will it always be online? Will it be released as a seperate book for teachers to use?

#34562 - 04/16/07 05:56 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
salthouse Offline

Loc: MIchigan
This looks great! Currently I have 4 students in PA Primer and just printed out the guide pages for their new pieces this week. Really looking forward to trying these out!

Now I can't wait for the other levels to be online - any time table for that?

#34563 - 04/16/07 06:12 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Administrator

Thanks everyone for your comments!

The Fabers personally sponsored the production of the teacher guide and are committed to having it available to the teacher community.

They are attempting to work with FJH to make an edition available in print with DVDs.

#34564 - 04/17/07 01:25 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Glen Sprigg Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
Heh. Now I know why you let me do my coordinated list...glad I could contribute. ;\)

Anyway, this is a wonderful resource, and I'm definitely going to be using it a lot. I'm moving in September and starting my own studio in a small town that only has two (Barrie has 150) teachers at the moment. I've even had feelers about a violin/vocal teacher looking for a studio to work with!

I'm assuming that there will be similar resources for the other levels in the series eventually?

#34565 - 04/17/07 07:58 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
The teaching guide is a great resource - I am enjoying it immensely. But I have a question- just curious. Nancy spends a significant amount of time on a single piece. That is, if you follow her teaching steps and do all of them in a single session. I'm curious as to how many pieces Nancy assigns each week. How many new, how many review? How many coordinating pieces from the other books at the same level - Tech & Art, Perf., etc. Does she recommend going over each piece before assigning? Or does she give students "on their own pieces". I'm referring to the Primer Level since that is what the teaching guide focuses on. Thanks for any insight or opinions.

#34566 - 04/18/07 06:43 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
keynote88 Offline
Resident Member

I am also curious about Lilla's question... how does Nancy incorporate other songs (besides the Lesson book) into the lesson? I teach for 40-minutes, and still don't have time to go "in-depth" on every song.

-keynote88

#34567 - 04/23/07 04:51 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Administrator

Regarding Nancy's assignments: one rule of thumb that might be helpful is to have the same number of items on the practice sheet as the age of the child (i.e. a 6-year-old would have 6 items on his or her practice sheet).

For example, three of the items may be review and three may be new, all depending on the student and the teacher. An "item" could be a piece, or it could be an exercise (like a five-finger scale or chord progression), or it could be an assignment to "play around" at the piano with your own ideas.

The Primer Teacher guide is an in-depth look at the Lesson Book pieces. Though a teacher may not use all the steps listed for every piece, the steps can serve as a guide for creative teaching in general.

Typically, Nancy and Randy would not spend as much time on pieces outside the Lesson Book.

Nancy almost always introduces a piece to her students before assigning it. The introduction might be as simple as a quick look at a tricky passage, or it might be as complete as a full step-by-step plan as presented in the guide.

Thanks for your questions!

#34568 - 04/23/07 03:47 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Studio88 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central MN
I think this is absolutely fantastic! Thank you thank you thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing guides to future books! I would love to see even just a clip of Nancy working with one of her older students - perhaps level 2B or 3A!

#34569 - 04/27/07 08:06 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
IvoryKeys Offline

Loc: Forney, Texas
The online guide with video is wonderful! It is an invaluable resource. Wow! I love being able to go online and check out a lesson that is coming up to get fresh ideas (or be reminded of one that worked particularly well). Thank you! I too am looking forward to future guides of the upper levels.

#34570 - 04/27/07 12:22 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Glen Sprigg Offline
Contributing Member

Is anyone else having a problem viewing the video for The I Like Song? I've tried it twice now, and both times it ends right after the 'mystery position' part, even though the clock says there's still another 1:39 to go in the video.

#34571 - 04/28/07 04:11 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Administrator

Hi, Glen--Sorry to hear about the trouble. I'm not able to duplicate that issue on my end. Try refreshing the page in your browser, or emptying your cache, if you haven't already. Alternatively, you can also play a lower-quality version of the clip in RealPlayer (look for the link at the bottom of the See-it-now box).

#34572 - 04/30/07 12:25 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Glen Sprigg Offline
Contributing Member

Okay, I've printed off all the guide sheets (not the duets yet), and I'd like to get them bound into a nice book for convenience.

Is there a suitable title page anywhere around? Does the front page print as a landscape or a portrait? Also, when will the DVD version be available? \:\)

#34573 - 05/26/07 07:31 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Stanny Offline
Mainstay Member

I've just found this website and have gone through the first several pages of the guide and videos, and all I can say is WOW! I've been teaching out of this series now for five years, and I was learning a new tip or two on each page. THANK YOU!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
MTNA Member
www.summitpiano.com

#34574 - 05/26/07 08:36 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Kennadi Offline

Loc: Marysville, WA
How generous to offer such informative helpful teaching material. What an impressive web site!!
You win the "gold"!

#34575 - 06/29/07 04:56 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
JeannineZwiebel Offline

Loc: Ohio
I think this is so awesome. I love the way Nancy makes everything so much fun. Using her ideas has kept my phone ringing by prospective new students! It is such a joy to hear the students say "That was so much fun," as they leave my house. After all our job is to instill the love of music through the piano.

#35253 - 09/06/07 10:22 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: pianoannie]
cecilly Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Illinois
I finally have DSL now and can view the video clips...they are terrific. And the children are just delightful. Thank you for making this available. I'm very impressed by Nancy's way with the kids too. Bravo!

#35871 - 10/15/07 08:47 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: cecilly]
Gail Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the online guides!!! I have gotten so much inspiration from the way Nancy teaches her students and watching her has helped me to slow down and improvise/expand many of the pieces I was rushing through before. I did want to share something I came up with this fall. In the video and guide for "Into the Cave", one of the suggestions is to tiptoe into the cave and stop to look around (holding the three black notes) for a bear. When my students get to the lowest three black notes, I play a low cluster chord LOUDLY and say, "Oh no, now you woke up the bear and he's going to chase you!" So they have to "run" out of the cave (higher on the keyboard), playing the three black notes, and I play cluster chords as I chase them up the keyboard. Once they get to middle C area, I tell them, "Now you're running up a hill!" As they go higher still, I tell them, "Now you're climbing a tree--but the bear is still behind you!" As they get to the highest three black notes, I say, "Now you're climbing out on the tree branch! The bear is right behind you!!" Then I play a "crash" on the keys and say, "Oh no!! The branch broke! The bear is falling out the tree and rolling down the hill!" and play a glissando down the keys to the very bottom. The kids have LOVED this improvisation and I point out how you can tell a story with music!! And to think I USED to just have them play "Into the Cave" as written and go on to the next piece!

Edited by Gail (10/15/07 08:48 PM)

#35875 - 10/16/07 09:32 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Gail]
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Gail, thanks for the inspiration! This is why I love this board. Such great ideas.

#36343 - 11/17/07 01:47 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Susan]
Sandy Offline

I have a beginner who is doing the "Three Little Kittens" in Chapter 2 for my recital on November l9th. His brother is playing the duet. They don't stay together too well because the older brother keeps a steady beat and never wavers. I would probably be able to play together with the beginner, but I think this is so great for the two of them to work it out. It's funny to hear the older one tell the younger one to slow down and listen.
The beginner is so full of energy. He came back last week and could play "Into the Cave" with his L.H. while he played "little bat" with his R.H. He was so impressed with himself. He had a hard time deciding which 2 pieces he would play on the recital, because he wanted to do them all.
Thanks for the online guide. My students are really enjoying the extras.

#36454 - 12/01/07 01:50 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Sandy]
Sandy Offline

The brothers did a great job on their "Three Little Kittens" duet. The recital really got off to a good start.

#39788 - 10/29/08 09:13 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: pianoannie]
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
Will there be other online teaching guides available in the future?

#40619 - 02/07/09 12:40 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Dolce]
nsigety Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Yes I myself absolutely LOVE the online videos and teaching guides. Men from mars in particular!! That one is just so neat when she does the martian talking stuff.

It's so nice to have something so helpful to guide you through your lessons.

#40820 - 02/27/09 01:00 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Jon]
Christi Offline

Thank you for your reply telling me how to use this forum. I couldn't figure out how to enter a post. I want to tell the Fabers that I am a new teacher and watching the video for Piano Adventures made me choose their publication over others. It has been challenging for me to do the duets and it is so impressive and creative. My student is 8 and does everything perfect just like the children in the video. I will keep purchasing this series for the resources. I also love reading all the threads. smile

#40976 - 03/14/09 12:56 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Christi]
Christi Offline

I want to share with everyone about the website the Faber's have listed on the Ode to Joy page in the online teaching guide about Beethoven. It is really neat. I have used it as a link on my website for the kids to get into. It has real cute computer music games. It is a tremendous resource. I don't know where you can get things like that!! cool

#40977 - 03/16/09 11:04 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Christi]
Administrator

Thanks for featuring that link, Christi! Here's the Ode to Joy primer guide page.
And here's the text and link that Christi is describing:
Time Travel
Would you like to find out what was Beethoven's favorite food? It might be your favorite food, too. Check out dsokids.com/2001/dso.asp?PageID=57

#52182 - 03/09/11 10:44 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Jon]
ransomed Offline
Resident Member

Loc: New York, USA
I really appreciate the Primer Teacher's Guide. It has changed the way I approach teaching. My students are are really enjoying making music and playing at their pianos. Thank you so much Nancy and Randall Faber smile I can't wait for the Level One Teacher's Guide to come out as well as more MFPA's videos!

#52540 - 03/28/11 11:51 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: ransomed]
AmyEliz Offline
Resident Member

Thank you so much for this Teacher's Guide. Right now, I have four very young students who are in MFPA, but this is a wonderful resource to have, as well - for when I get students a little bit "older."

By the way, I haven't introduced myself yet. I'm Amy. (User name gives it away, huh?) I joined a few months ago, and have been lurking. This is my first post here. My background is in piano and voice. I'm teaching voice at University Level. Now, I'm "going back" to my roots; piano and piano teaching.

I love this forum; so much to learn, and so many helpful posters. Thanks to all.

Edited by AmyEliz (03/28/11 11:51 PM)

#53775 - 05/24/11 11:18 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: IvoryKeys]
alidoremi Offline
Star Member

Loc: California
Ditto!

#64937 - 04/19/14 11:01 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: ]
DonnaH Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
The link doesn't work for me...I get:

"404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable."

Do others get this too?

#64941 - 04/21/14 01:25 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: DonnaH]
pianojazzgirl Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Montreal
Same here, Donna.

#64944 - 04/21/14 09:33 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: DonnaH]
Administrator

Here's an updated link to the Beethoven bio on the dsokids website:
https://www.dsokids.com/listen/by-composer/ludwig-van-beethoven.aspx