Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#34575 - 06/29/07 04:56 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
JeannineZwiebel Offline

Loc: Ohio
I think this is so awesome. I love the way Nancy makes everything so much fun. Using her ideas has kept my phone ringing by prospective new students! It is such a joy to hear the students say "That was so much fun," as they leave my house. After all our job is to instill the love of music through the piano.

#35253 - 09/06/07 10:22 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: pianoannie]
cecilly Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: Illinois
I finally have DSL now and can view the video clips...they are terrific. And the children are just delightful. Thank you for making this available. I'm very impressed by Nancy's way with the kids too. Bravo!

#35871 - 10/15/07 08:47 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: cecilly]
Gail Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the online guides!!! I have gotten so much inspiration from the way Nancy teaches her students and watching her has helped me to slow down and improvise/expand many of the pieces I was rushing through before. I did want to share something I came up with this fall. In the video and guide for "Into the Cave", one of the suggestions is to tiptoe into the cave and stop to look around (holding the three black notes) for a bear. When my students get to the lowest three black notes, I play a low cluster chord LOUDLY and say, "Oh no, now you woke up the bear and he's going to chase you!" So they have to "run" out of the cave (higher on the keyboard), playing the three black notes, and I play cluster chords as I chase them up the keyboard. Once they get to middle C area, I tell them, "Now you're running up a hill!" As they go higher still, I tell them, "Now you're climbing a tree--but the bear is still behind you!" As they get to the highest three black notes, I say, "Now you're climbing out on the tree branch! The bear is right behind you!!" Then I play a "crash" on the keys and say, "Oh no!! The branch broke! The bear is falling out the tree and rolling down the hill!" and play a glissando down the keys to the very bottom. The kids have LOVED this improvisation and I point out how you can tell a story with music!! And to think I USED to just have them play "Into the Cave" as written and go on to the next piece!

Edited by Gail (10/15/07 08:48 PM)

#35875 - 10/16/07 09:32 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Gail]
Susan Offline
Star Member

Loc: Texas
Gail, thanks for the inspiration! This is why I love this board. Such great ideas.

#36343 - 11/17/07 01:47 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Susan]
Sandy Offline

I have a beginner who is doing the "Three Little Kittens" in Chapter 2 for my recital on November l9th. His brother is playing the duet. They don't stay together too well because the older brother keeps a steady beat and never wavers. I would probably be able to play together with the beginner, but I think this is so great for the two of them to work it out. It's funny to hear the older one tell the younger one to slow down and listen.
The beginner is so full of energy. He came back last week and could play "Into the Cave" with his L.H. while he played "little bat" with his R.H. He was so impressed with himself. He had a hard time deciding which 2 pieces he would play on the recital, because he wanted to do them all.
Thanks for the online guide. My students are really enjoying the extras.

#36454 - 12/01/07 01:50 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Sandy]
Sandy Offline

The brothers did a great job on their "Three Little Kittens" duet. The recital really got off to a good start.

#39788 - 10/29/08 09:13 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: pianoannie]
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
Will there be other online teaching guides available in the future?

#40619 - 02/07/09 12:40 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Dolce]
nsigety Offline

Loc: Virginia, USA
Yes I myself absolutely LOVE the online videos and teaching guides. Men from mars in particular!! That one is just so neat when she does the martian talking stuff.

It's so nice to have something so helpful to guide you through your lessons.

#40820 - 02/27/09 01:00 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Jon]
Christi Offline

Thank you for your reply telling me how to use this forum. I couldn't figure out how to enter a post. I want to tell the Fabers that I am a new teacher and watching the video for Piano Adventures made me choose their publication over others. It has been challenging for me to do the duets and it is so impressive and creative. My student is 8 and does everything perfect just like the children in the video. I will keep purchasing this series for the resources. I also love reading all the threads. smile

#40976 - 03/14/09 12:56 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide! [Re: Christi]
Christi Offline

I want to share with everyone about the website the Faber's have listed on the Ode to Joy page in the online teaching guide about Beethoven. It is really neat. I have used it as a link on my website for the kids to get into. It has real cute computer music games. It is a tremendous resource. I don't know where you can get things like that!! cool

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts