Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#34565 - 04/17/07 07:58 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Lilla Offline
Star Member

Loc: Chicago
The teaching guide is a great resource - I am enjoying it immensely. But I have a question- just curious. Nancy spends a significant amount of time on a single piece. That is, if you follow her teaching steps and do all of them in a single session. I'm curious as to how many pieces Nancy assigns each week. How many new, how many review? How many coordinating pieces from the other books at the same level - Tech & Art, Perf., etc. Does she recommend going over each piece before assigning? Or does she give students "on their own pieces". I'm referring to the Primer Level since that is what the teaching guide focuses on. Thanks for any insight or opinions.

#34566 - 04/18/07 06:43 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
keynote88 Offline
Resident Member

I am also curious about Lilla's question... how does Nancy incorporate other songs (besides the Lesson book) into the lesson? I teach for 40-minutes, and still don't have time to go "in-depth" on every song.

-keynote88

#34567 - 04/23/07 04:51 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Jon Administrator Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Regarding Nancy's assignments: one rule of thumb that might be helpful is to have the same number of items on the practice sheet as the age of the child (i.e. a 6-year-old would have 6 items on his or her practice sheet).

For example, three of the items may be review and three may be new, all depending on the student and the teacher. An "item" could be a piece, or it could be an exercise (like a five-finger scale or chord progression), or it could be an assignment to "play around" at the piano with your own ideas.

The Primer Teacher guide is an in-depth look at the Lesson Book pieces. Though a teacher may not use all the steps listed for every piece, the steps can serve as a guide for creative teaching in general.

Typically, Nancy and Randy would not spend as much time on pieces outside the Lesson Book.

Nancy almost always introduces a piece to her students before assigning it. The introduction might be as simple as a quick look at a tricky passage, or it might be as complete as a full step-by-step plan as presented in the guide.

Thanks for your questions!

#34568 - 04/23/07 03:47 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Studio88 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Central MN
I think this is absolutely fantastic! Thank you thank you thank you! I'm looking forward to seeing guides to future books! I would love to see even just a clip of Nancy working with one of her older students - perhaps level 2B or 3A!

#34569 - 04/27/07 08:06 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
IvoryKeys Offline

Loc: Forney, Texas
The online guide with video is wonderful! It is an invaluable resource. Wow! I love being able to go online and check out a lesson that is coming up to get fresh ideas (or be reminded of one that worked particularly well). Thank you! I too am looking forward to future guides of the upper levels.

#34570 - 04/27/07 12:22 PM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Glen Sprigg Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
Is anyone else having a problem viewing the video for The I Like Song? I've tried it twice now, and both times it ends right after the 'mystery position' part, even though the clock says there's still another 1:39 to go in the video.

#34571 - 04/28/07 04:11 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Jon Administrator Online   content
Administrator

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI
Hi, Glen--Sorry to hear about the trouble. I'm not able to duplicate that issue on my end. Try refreshing the page in your browser, or emptying your cache, if you haven't already. Alternatively, you can also play a lower-quality version of the clip in RealPlayer (look for the link at the bottom of the See-it-now box).

#34572 - 04/30/07 12:25 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Glen Sprigg Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Barrie, Ontario
Okay, I've printed off all the guide sheets (not the duets yet), and I'd like to get them bound into a nice book for convenience.

Is there a suitable title page anywhere around? Does the front page print as a landscape or a portrait? Also, when will the DVD version be available? \:\)

#34573 - 05/26/07 07:31 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Stanny Offline
Mainstay Member

I've just found this website and have gone through the first several pages of the guide and videos, and all I can say is WOW! I've been teaching out of this series now for five years, and I was learning a new tip or two on each page. THANK YOU!

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
MTNA Member
www.summitpiano.com

#34574 - 05/26/07 08:36 AM Re: Welcome to the new online guide!
Kennadi Offline

Loc: Marysville, WA
How generous to offer such informative helpful teaching material. What an impressive web site!!
You win the "gold"!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics