Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#33485 - 02/22/05 12:04 PM Book Club
Dorla Aparicio Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Texas
I very much enjoyed the latest newsletter, especially the Chesire Cat article by Marianne Uszler.
I was wondering if anyone was interested in following the idea mentioned on page 4 regarding the Winstom-Salem teachers group who decided to be their own experts and agreed to read specific short books then discuss opinions and ideas.
It would be interesting to have a group of music teachers do this online.
Let me know!

#33486 - 02/24/05 11:36 AM Re: Book Club
Emilymae Offline
Resident Member

I'm not igoring your message, but I'm not sure how it would work. I know there's a lot of books out there but only a few seem worthwhile, and we seem to already mention them (I'm thinking of The Practice Revolution book). I wish the good books were available at the library, my center has only the very old books that I don't see as helpful. My local music store only gets one book in once in awhile and I immediately buy it. I think it would be more helpful for a teacher's group to be assigned a composer or a series and then give a detailed report. Like our favorite teachign pieces we've listed in another thread. So I think it's a good idea, I just don't know how it would work or it's already been done before.

#33487 - 02/25/05 04:01 AM Re: Book Club
xstitch4me Offline
Star Member

Loc: Idaho
I say why not have a regular book club? Read any type of book and then discuss it...now that would be fun.

#33488 - 02/25/05 04:43 AM Re: Book Club
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
I just bought the Questions and Answers book by Frances Clark (bought it through Clavier mag.). It really is a wealth of information even though her answers date back to the 70's and 80's. Just about every question you would ever have is in there. I will NEVER know as much as she did! This is a valuable resource.

#33489 - 02/25/05 05:32 AM Re: Book Club
pianoannie Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: midwest USA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Carole:
I just bought the Questions and Answers book by Frances Clark (bought it through Clavier mag.). It really is a wealth of information even though her answers date back to the 70's and 80's. Just about every question you would ever have is in there. I will NEVER know as much as she did! This is a valuable resource.
Hmmm...that's interesting. I was at The Instrumentalist website (home of Clavier, Piano Explorer, etc) and this appeared on that site:

Back In Print

Questions & Answers by Frances Clark will be available September 1.
$15 plus $3 shipping. ($10 each plus shipping for 5 or more copies.)
Call 1-888-446-6888 to order.

So I was disappointed that I couldn't order it now. And then I found it on Amazon, but it was $49.00!!!
So Carole, where did you get it? I want one!

#33490 - 02/25/05 05:51 AM Re: Book Club
Carole Offline
Star Member

Loc: southern California
Maybe they ran out of copies. I recently (January or maybe it was December) sent in a new subscription for Clavier and this book was advertised at that time. It was $15.

#33491 - 02/27/05 02:59 AM Re: Book Club
barbara Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Southern Maryland
Our local chapter of MTNA in Southern Maryland has been meeting once a month for probably 7 or 8 years discussing various books. I am forgetting the book by Max Camp, then Pumping IVory by Robert Dumm. Last summer we assigned teachers to prepare pieces from Grieg's Lyric Pieces and discussed them. We each bought the reference book on Grieg's music. I am not at home so I can't search the names of some of the books. We are a very small association and many times only three teachers show up. There were other books but I am at a lost for the titles. Barbara

#33492 - 02/27/05 03:52 AM Re: Book Club
Emilymae Offline
Resident Member

Barbara, did you find the Max Camp book useful? There's a paperback copy of Teaching Piano by Dr. Max Camp at the music store and I haven't bought it yet. I want to but at first glance I wasn't sure if I'd use it much. If anyone has liked it, please let me know. I'm just looking for an excuse to buy more \:D

#33493 - 02/28/05 12:04 PM Re: Book Club
Dorla Aparicio Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Texas
Well, I guess there is really no one interested in a book club. it really is just a matter of choosing a book, reading it, and meeting online to discuss it. It seems easy enough and we could find books from the library, bookstore or wherever others may suggest.
But if anyone has a change of mind, let me know!

#33494 - 03/01/05 01:49 AM Re: Book Club
barbara Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Southern Maryland
The "Teaching Piano" by Max Camp is very useful. I had studied the book years ago and then when our group studied it is was very refreshing and helpful to me. "Pumping Ivory" by Robert Dumm is also a wonderful book to study. Now that I am home I can look and name other books we studied over the 7 or 8 years. "20 Lessons in Keyboard Choreography", by Seymour Bernstein ,"Onstage with Grieg" by Einar Steen-Nokleberg ( a reference book for the specific pieces we performed, and currently being studied is "The Perfect Wrong Note" by William Westney. William Westney has a webpage. I purchased all the Lyric Pieces by Grieg peformed by the author of the above book. Oh I forgot last summer we also went through "Mystery to Mastery" by Suzanne Guy and Ingrid Clarfield. For the future we have talked about Martha Baker's book on pedagogy.
Barbara

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums