Topic Options
#33377 - 11/12/04 02:20 PM piano pedagogy master's program
grace3712 Offline

Loc: Walls, MS
I'm relatively new to this site, but I have enjoyed the information that I've found! I'm not sure if this is where I should post this. But, has anyone out there ever gone through a Master's program in piano pedagogy? I've completed my BME degree with an emphasis in piano. For about a year and a half now, I have enjoyed giving piano lessons. In the area I live, there are no music jobs available in the schools. I really love to teach. So, I am really just trying to decide where to go from here I guess. Any suggestions?

#33378 - 11/22/04 12:46 PM Re: piano pedagogy master's program
Jason Moderator Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Hi Grace,

Sounds like you have a great background and love of teaching, and a Master's degree in pedagogy may be just the thing if you want to continue your growth as a musician and teacher.

My advice to you is the following. Put together a list of schools that offer Master's degrees in pedagogy. Find out who's in charge of the programs and give them a call or send them an email. Questions you might ask include:

What opportunities are there at your school for supervised or practice teaching?

Where are the former graduates from your program and what are they doing now?

How would you describe a "day in the life" of one of your Master's pedagogy students?

The important part is finding the right match. In a Master's degree, you'll be taking lessons and doing some supervised teaching, and you'll want to make sure you and your teachers are the right fit.

One good place to start looking for pedagogy programs is to find those programs with Student Chapters of MTNA. You can search by state or zip code here:

https://members.mtna.org/mtnareports/Collegiate_Chapters.asp

Happy searching, and best of luck!

Jason

Quote:
Originally posted by grace3712:
I'm relatively new to this site, but I have enjoyed the information that I've found! I'm not sure if this is where I should post this. But, has anyone out there ever gone through a Master's program in piano pedagogy?
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

#33379 - 11/28/04 01:29 PM Re: piano pedagogy master's program
ChristyA Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Midwest
Jason gave you some great ideas. I have a Master's in pedagogy, but wish I had done more research on schools first. I was very disappointed with the program. I did not get an assistantship, and got very little teaching experience there. The head professor was about to retire and didn't seem to care too much about whether I learned to teach or not. I should have chosen a smaller college that had promised me more supervised teaching experience.

It's still a great piece of paper--I don't hesitate include my credentials when I advertise.

Moderator:  Jason 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts