Topic Options
#33375 - 09/20/04 06:22 PM Performance Piece
Ashley Ann Offline

I am trying to deciede on a piece to play for the "Miss Utah" pageant. For my local pageant I played Prelude in C# Minor, by Rachmaninoff. I do not want to play the same piece, but I do love Rachmaninoff and other romantic composers (Chopin). The problem is I have itty-bitty hands which makes it difficult to play something big and powerful (which is what I want). I can barely reach an octave, but with practice I can successfully play them in succession (like in prelude in C# minor), but I would rather play something clean and confidently, than worry about messing it up. Please help. The selection has to be two minutes which requires some editting, which may be to my advantage to take out some parts which are too difficult.

Thank you,
Ashley

PS the pageant is in June 2005, which gives me quite a bit of time to learn a two minute piece, so I encourage a challenge.

[ 09-20-2004: Message edited by: Ashley Ann ]

#33376 - 09/21/04 04:20 AM Re: Performance Piece
Gail Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Alpharetta, GA
I was involved in several pageants many (MANY) years ago. Some suggestions are: Gershwin Prelude No. 1 or No. 3--very flashy and appealing. Also, Rachmaninoff Humoreske (sp?)--I think it's Op. 10, no. 5, but not at all sure--I'll have to look it up at home. You may have diificulty with some Rachmaninoff pieces, because he had such a tremendous hand span.

Moderator:  Jason 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts