Topic Options
#33373 - 08/26/04 01:53 PM Senior Recital
Emmanuel Offline

Dear Jason,

I am planning my Senior Recital, and my professor has basically left it up to me to decide what to play and what order to play it in. Most students program their recitals in chronological order, starting with Baroque and ending with something Contemporary. Is this generally a good idea? I'd like to shake things up a little.

I am playing a Scarlatti Sonata Longo 413, a Schubert Impromptu (in Eb), Five Scriabin Preludes from Op. 11, Debussy Suite Bergamasque, and Prokofiev Sonata #3. What's a good order? Where should I put a little intermission?

Emmanuel

P.S. I'm thinking of replacing the Scriabin Preludes with maybe three Rachmaninoff Preludes.

#33374 - 08/29/04 01:55 PM Re: Senior Recital
Jason Moderator Offline
Star Member

Loc: Iowa City, IA
Hi Emmanuel!

Whenever I start a recital, I like to begin with something comfortable that lets me get used to the instrument. Pick something you've played often and had success with.

In your case, the Scarlatti or Debussy strike me as good opening choices.

Also, it might be nice to group the Scriabin (or Rachmaninoff) preludes with the Prokofiev. You could write something in the program notes that briefly explain all the different styles that came out of the Soviet Union in the early 20th century (from the romantic Rachmaninoff to the mystic Scriabin to Prokofiev, the "infant terrible" of piano music.)

So that being said, maybe something like:

Debussy
Scarlatti
Schubert

*intermission*

Scriabin/Rachmaninoff
Prokofiev

The intermission should balance the time, give you a chance to collect yourself, and give the audience a chance to reflect on the music they've heard.

And finally, while it's true that people often put recitals in chronological order, keep in mind that it's what you feel and what the audience hears that's most important.

Congrats on playing such wonderful and challenging repertoire, and best of luck on your recital!

- Jason
"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com

Moderator:  Jason 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics