Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#32817 - 08/29/05 10:12 AM Re: adult/child differences
unreal Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: CA
Interesting, helpful comments everyone. Many things mentioned I could just copy and say "ditto." And yes, thank you for the link, Lisa. I remember that thread and have heard Randall speak about that--now it's bookmarked so I can check it again.

My new student-to-be starts Thursday. I spoke with my friend who did not want to teach him. She said she simply didn't have experience teaching adults, and that she didn't know the music he was looking forward to playing. (I don't know yet either--hope it's something I like!) She thought I might be more flexible with literature, learning style etc.

I have two other adult beginners now, and I have them in Acc. PA, rather than adult PA. They are doing just fine. The reason I put them there is that in my vaaast experience of one, count 'em, one adult student in adult PA, that student quit after a month. Now I've had a total of 4 adult students (I can still count 'em on one hand) who have used Acc. PA with success. What's the deal? Is it just me? Maybe it's just that I relate to Acc. more than adult? Oh well, as long as we're all happy and progressing.

#32818 - 08/30/05 06:50 AM Re: adult/child differences
Dan Saydak Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
I think some of you may be a bit harsh on us adult students. In the first couple of years i took lessons, I tried to play stuff above my ability, but i soon got over that. I enjoy the learning process, taking weeks or even months to master a piece, and don't mind a gradual, very slow progress. I've learned that the simplest pieces can be played with musicality, artistry, expression or whatever you want to call it. I feel that i have a lifetme to "revel" in piano study, and there is an incredible wealth of musically, emotionally and intellectually satisfying music to learn at EVERY level of proficiency. And i can't believe that I'm the only adult student that feels like this.

#32819 - 08/30/05 06:55 AM Re: adult/child differences
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
 Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Saydak:
I think some of you may be a bit harsh on us adult students....I've learned that the simplest pieces can be played with musicality, artistry, expression or whatever you want to call it...And i can't believe that I'm the only adult student that feels like this.
Your teacher is very lucky to have you! In my experience, you are the exception to the rule. And a GOOD exception to the rule.

I don't think anyone was being particularly harsh to adults, we were mainly discussing differences in comparison to children.

#32820 - 08/30/05 07:14 AM Re: adult/child differences
Dan Saydak Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Jaydub2, I can see that now, after i re-read some of the posts. Perhaps "harsh" was a poor choice of word! I further think that adults in north america want things NOW. We don't like to wait, or try to achieve things that require discipline and work over the long haul, whether it's learning to play piano , or getting in shape, etc. What we want, we buy NOW, or we put it on credit, and still get it NOW. I had NO idea when i started piano 7 or 8 years ago that it would only be now after all these years that i can finally play "Fur Elise" well, for example! It was a revelation to me when i finally realized that there are NO short cuts in learning piano. Maybe many adult students don't realize this, although i don't understand why some people can put years into perfecting their golf swing but can't stick with piano lessons!

#32821 - 08/30/05 10:13 AM Re: adult/child differences
Christina Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Canada
dan, jaydub is right when saying your teacher is lucky to have you! i'm glad you're sticking with it and realising it's hard work, but enjoying it nonetheless.

and you're right with your comment about north americans wanting things NOW! at least you're one of the few who's not suckered in by the wonderful "learn piano in one lesson!" type bs.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics