Topic Options
#32740 - 07/30/04 09:00 PM Adults Performing
playsteinway Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Mason, Michigan
I was just wondering how you can encourage adults to play for audience now and again to share their skills and help build confidence.
I don't require my adult students to do a recital but always tell them they are welcome to if they choose to (some do, some wont). I have also encouraged them to play for their church special music (solo or as a duet with someone) and stuff like that.
Anyone have any ideas that would be non-threatening or less intimidating for an adult student to try out? I know confidence is usually a big issue with adult learners- especially newbie beginners.

#32741 - 08/01/04 12:50 PM Re: Adults Performing
shannonspiano Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: WI
One of my adults is a physical therapist at a nursing home, so i encourage her to go and play the piano there for at least one resident, when she has her songs down. That gets her to perform without having to stress out about it.

#32742 - 08/03/04 10:59 PM Re: Adults Performing
KeyboardKandyce Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Ca
Hmm...I have an adult piano student who's a nurse. I wonder if her hospital has a piano. That would be great for her to aim for!

Thanks, Shannon!

I don't require her to play in the recitals, but she is always welcome to. She has only been taking lessons for a few months so maybe for the next recital, she will be a little more confident about her playing. When I was young, there was an adult who always performed. He was wonderful and we always looked forward to his performances!

#32743 - 08/04/04 07:21 AM Re: Adults Performing
Dan Saydak Offline
Resident Member

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
My dream performing situation: an informal evening in a nice home with a grand piano, lots of opportunity to visit with other adult students to talk piano, wine and cheese, and an opportunity to play when I felt comfortable. If my teacher put together an evening like that, I wouldn't miss it for the world!
Dan

#32744 - 08/04/04 07:29 AM Re: Adults Performing
Dolce Offline
Mainstay Member

Loc: USA
That sounds wonderful, Dan!

I have an afternoon "Tea" for my adult students where we get together and they get to know one another. One of the things they like to do is to talk about why they chose to take piano lessons as an adult, and then play their piece. We don't allow anyone except the students to come - no spouses, friends, kids. It's just us, and it's very encouraging. After we play we have tea/coffee and cookies and talk for a while. But I bet they would love your idea. I just have to find a student with a nice home and a nice piano!!

#32745 - 08/21/04 09:20 AM Re: Adults Performing
jaydub2 Offline
Resident Member

Loc: WA
This past year I incorporated two adult sharing classes. Of my 6 adult students, only three of them would perform. All my adult students were encouraged to come and play but none were "forced" to play.

Since my students were performing and there was lots of discussion about anxiety levels, I told them I would learn something NEW and perform as well. I think the adult students enjoyed my playing, but I know they definitely were relieved to see that I was almost as nervous as they were. It also made me practice and learn new literature.

#32746 - 08/27/04 06:28 AM Re: Adults Performing
greenpianolady Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Westbrook ME
Same here. Nursing homes and retirement centers. Some places are happy to have you come informally and play during dinner hour, late afternoon, or another time sort of as background music--less intimidating as you're not the center of attention, but people sitting around or wandering by enjoy it. Not everyone can handle the nursing home environment, but if you can, it has it's rewarding moments. My Mom returns monthly to the Alzheimer's Unit where my Dad died to tell stories and visit residents; my daughter and I went with her recently and all three of us played the piano for about an hour. A new resident wandered in, sat close to the piano, and started to sing--not really sing, vocalize is more like it. Sometimes with the melody, sometimes harmonizing, in tune, a rich voice with potential--a man who couldn't talk clearly, but was entranced by the music, and, we learned to our surprise from his family, one who had never sung nor played an instrument in his lifetime. His disease removed his inhibitions...sad, yes, but also joyful as he so clearly was deriving pleasure from the experience. Those around him enjoyed it , too.
So some of your adults who are sympathetic type folk might be motivated to play at a nursing home for the therapeutic benefits even if they are a bit shy about performing.

#32747 - 08/27/04 06:31 AM Re: Adults Performing
greenpianolady Offline
Contributing Member

Loc: Westbrook ME
An addition to previous--the music the resident was "singing" along with was mostly light classical music--beginning Mozart, Haydn, intermediate stuff.

Moderator:  Archivist 
Search

Recent Posts
Top Posters (Last 30 Days)
Newest Members
mypianorotebook, Amber_Bagz, 430725, SKaR, adagiok5
2658 Registered Users
Forum Stats
2658 Members
46 Forums
5771 Topics
62996 Posts